seeking clarity/understanding 87 4runner / surf sr5 turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you mean the "Surf" that's just what the 4Runner is called outside of north America, specifically it's a "Hilux Surf" Overseas they came with different engines and different options, but the bodies are all the same as ours I believe. They also had the solid front axle option well into the 90's. So you can have either IFS or SFA from 1986-199?

it's a Turbo 4Runner... And a regular, run of the mill 22RE, they are not... Not even close.

You will get more headaches out of this thing, and it will require more tinkering... So get "it's a trouble free 22RE with a Turbo" out of your mind.

And if you don't PM it, it'll let you know real fast...

Update the Turdblow and possibly the exhaust manni, and there will go a lot of your problems...

And the rear diffs are the same as the V6, and despite what 4x4Wire claims is the tranny, they're WRONG!

It has the A340H, same as the V6 4Runners...

"Why are vehicles with the Toyota A340H trans/t-case so gutless?
(Compared to their 5 speed counterparts with the same motor). Normally, an auto tranny both consumes power and mutiplies torque. In the case of the A340H, the power consumption is doubled by the addition of the hydraulic transfer case, which is essentially like having another automatic transmission inline. But the torque multiplication of the single torque converter isn't enough to compensate for the additional drag. A simple though exspensive solution is to replace the hydraulic chain driven transfer case with a gear driven one. Inchworm and Gearslug are some of the only vendors that make an adapter for this application. People who have performed this mod report increased mileage and performance, most likely due to the elimination of the additional drag of the hydraulic t-case. Note that the chain drive case has a 2.66 to 1 low range so going to a single stock gear drive case will lose some gear reduction."

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521

Last edited:
hilux,

what would you do to the turbo and exhaust man? realize that i have 2 1967 LC's with simple carbs... i knew that anything with a turbo makes maintenance a bit more complex. i bought this truck because it is in great shape and it is a unique model... bottom line, it is still a toyota at the end of the day.

well... the CT26 is a bolt on...

BUT, you still have the factory exhaust manni... It's hard to say, but I'd start somewhere around there. The CT26, then move to an aftermarket manni... If I decided I needed to.

Assuming it's a runner..
1. CT26...
2. Aftermarket exhaust manni...
3. Gear drive TC... A340f then the adapter from Marlin. Or, just put a A340f in it and leave it!

4. Leak down test, repower it... New head gasket and timing chain set... The best of everything in the head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom