Seeking BJ70 Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BCM

Threads
After visiting the LC Heritage Museum, I have convinced myself that I would like to pickup a BJ70. This would be a weekend / around town car, but I’d still want to be able to maintain highway speeds. My initial research indicates I should be looking for the 3.4L 3B motor with 5 speed trans. I would also prefer RHD with AC.

Are there any 70 series owners or experts in the club that can provide insight? Should I be looking for another motor/trans combo? Are there any problems areas with the BJ70 I should be on the lookout for? Any regrets current or previous owners have with this model? Lastly, are there any good resources, besides Mud, to source a BJ70 without finding a broker to import?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Don’t rule out the MWB Land Cruisers (73 - 74 Series) in your search. A little more interior space and depending on the model, a more modern turbocharged engine.
Good Luck ....

There's also the KJZ series...

Best BJ70 series engine IMHO is the 13B-T.
The biggest issue with 70 Series truck is probably body rust. Especially up along the rear wheel wells and rear sill. When I lived in Canada, I wheeled with several Canadian spec and JDM 70s and that was the biggest issue I saw with them.
I second the BJ73 comment. They are sweet since you can pull the top off and they are roomier than the BJ70.
@Crusha or @shmukster.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and new avenues to research. The MWB 70's look very interesting. Removeable top and 1HZ are very appealing. Thanks!

I have an HZJ73 and in my research before purchasing, I found that the 1HZ is a *newer* engine and you can find parts for it Without too much trouble. It’s a RHD and the only inconvenience is ATM drive-thrus, parking garages, and the like (I have yet to reverse through one 😅). It accelerates slow but can comfortably do 80 on the highway. Some folks turbo the 1HZ but it has enough power for my style and I don’t want to have to monitor other things breaking. I’m still learning but it has been a great truck these past 1.5yrs of ownership. I daily drive mine too. Also check out the pzj70, I think the 1PZ engine is like the 1HZ but an inline 5 instead of 6 and is LHD. I saw one for sale earlier this year. Good luck!

note:before my new tires, it did 70mph comfortably, now it does 80mph well.

Last edited:
Here is my two cents.

My first 70 was a FJ73. It was a left hand model imported from Colombia and powered by a 3F gas engine and H55F 5 speed. Same size as BJ73, HZJ73, or any XX74. It was also the rarely seen factory soft top, not FRP removable hard top. You probably saw that green one at the museum which was basically what I had but mine was white. This is what people consider the "MWB" and is the best size of all in my opinion. More on why I am saying that later.

My second 70 was a PZJ70 from Japan. Right hand drive. It was what people call the "SWB" and is the shortest size of all. It was a great little beast with a factory winch. The only negatives about this one was the size is probably a bit too small for most people and the parts can be hard to get for the 1PZ engine if the part is specific to 1PZ engines only such as the injection pump. @CenTXFJ60 helped me install a rebuilt injection pump in the PZJ70. After that it ran like a champ and still does from what I am hearing from the guy who owns it now and drives it all over the US. He had a BJ70 before he bought my PZJ70 and he said the PZJ70 is way better.

My third 70 which I still own now is a HZJ77 from Japan. Right hand drive. 1HZ powered with H55F 5 speed. Same people refer to the 77 as the "LWB". I have no complaints about owning this cruiser and love it but if I still owned all three cruisers I just talked about in this post and suddenly had to decide to just keep one. It would be the FJ73. It was the best size of all. Not too small or not too big. It all comes down to how many people you are carrying and how you like to camp, etc. If people ride with you often, the SWB 70 isn't for you IMHO.

What do you guys think about the 74 versus the 73? Is the only difference just the coil springs vs. leafs? Also, which of the 73/74s have 12v electronics versus 24v?

Last edited:
Reactions: BCM
What do you guys think about the 74 versus the 73? Is the only difference just the coil springs vs. leafs?

No. The spring vs leafs isn't the only difference. For example, the BJ73 and BJ74 both have leafs in the front.

Reactions: BCM
Last edited:
After visiting the LC Heritage Museum, I have convinced myself that I would like to pickup a BJ70. This would be a weekend / around town car, but I’d still want to be able to maintain highway speeds. My initial research indicates I should be looking for the 3.4L 3B motor with 5 speed trans. I would also prefer RHD with AC.

Are there any 70 series owners or experts in the club that can provide insight? Should I be looking for another motor/trans combo? Are there any problems areas with the BJ70 I should be on the lookout for? Any regrets current or previous owners have with this model? Lastly, are there any good resources, besides Mud, to source a BJ70 without finding a broker to import?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

I would suggest checking with Georg (Joe for those like me that butcher his name)
joekatana (mud name)

Joe regularly travels aboard to purchase complete vehicles and parts for resale. Based on my experiences with him, he is very knowledgeable in diesel Cruisers and a solid businessman (opinion; he is in business to make a profit and build a wide base of satisfied customers, i.e. he does not over price his stock / he prices as fairly as he can so his inventory moves at a viable profit and his customers are satisfied with the value).
Consequently, a conversation with Joe could provide much of the info that you are seeking.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom