Seeking advice on shock and rear spring replacement... no lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased my truck, the P/O had replaced the shocks with Monroe something or others... they are at least a couple of years old at this point, and they are getting tired. Some recent, heavily loaded road trips and camping trips have made this abundantly clear!

I was originally considering going with the OEM Toyota replacements. However, I am not counting on any of the Monroe mounting hardware being compatible. Replacing four shocks and all the associated mounting hardware is looking to be about $500 if bought online (Olathe, McGeorge), or about $700 if bought locally at Mr. T. On the other hand, I can get a set of four Bilstein 4600s--with all hardware--for $436 (although they appear to be backordered at the moment).

Pros/cons of Bilstein vs OEM Toyota? I've had Bilsteins in the past on Bimmers, and I've been very satisfied with them. Are their truck shocks equally good? I don't mind a little increase in stiffness (not a significant increase, though), and more longevity/durability is also a plus.

Also, with 243K, I think my rear springs are getting tired. I am correct that folks use the Old Man Emu 2860s in conjunction with OEM/stock height shocks for a little extra rear load carrying capacity with no lift?

I am correct that folks use the Old Man Emu 2860s in conjunction with OEM/stock height shocks for a little extra rear load carrying capacity with no lift?
Yes, but minor “lift” (1.5”) unloaded because the 860s have higher spring rate. I have 860s with new Toyota Tokico shocks and the ride is great.

Replacing four shocks and all the associated mounting hardware is looking to be about $500 if bought online (Olathe, McGeorge),
Can get all new OEM shocks and all hardware from Partsouq for $400.

I'm a fan of the OME 860 springs in a mostly stock 100 series, but your "no lift" statement is not my experience.

The OME 860/2860 is generally marketed as the "medium load" +2.5" springs, you're going to need a fair bit of weight to have those ride at stock height/no lift.

The OME 865/2865 is the 860's shorter cousin, with the same spring rate as the 860, which is generally marketed as the "medium load" +1.5" springs.

If your current springs are sagging, either one will likely give you a significant lift in the back, from where it currently sits.

Factory height on our (2) LX470 when they were stock was ~20.5" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender.
When we had the 865s in the rear of my son's 2000 LC, (unloaded) it was ~22" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender. (With my son's old 865s in the rear of our 06 LX, I'm seeing closer to ~21")
With the current 860s in the rear of my son's 2000 LC, (unloaded) it is ~23" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender.

As far as OEM shocks, unless I'm missing something, I'm getting ~$307 (without tax or shipping):

Front shock ~$42 each

Rear shock ~$47 each

Retainer/Washer kit ~$129

Last edited:
I went form Monroe to OEM and you're correct the hardware is different. I have a whole bin of shock washers and bushings and managed to make mine work. I'm pretty sure I ended up using Land Rover Disco washers with the Toyota bushings.

Jim

Yes, but minor “lift” (1.5”) unloaded because the 860s have higher spring rate. I have 860s with new Toyota Tokico shocks and the ride is great.

Good to know! And you have the 860s, not the 865s?

I'm a fan of the OME 860 springs in a mostly stock 100 series, but your "no lift" statement is not my experience.

The OME 860/2860 is generally marketed as the "medium load" +2.5" springs, you're going to need a fair bit of weight to have those ride at stock height/no lift.

The OME 865/2865 is the 860's shorter cousin, with the same spring rate as the 860, which is generally marketed as the "medium load" +1.5" springs.

If your current springs are sagging, either one will likely give you a significant lift in the back, from where it currently sits.

Factory height on our (2) LX470 when they were stock was ~20.5" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender.
When we had the 865s in the rear of my son's 2000 LC, (unloaded) it was ~22" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender. (With my son's old 865s in the rear of our 06 LX, I'm seeing closer to ~21")
With the current 860s in the rear of my son's 2000 LC, (unloaded) it is ~23" from the center of the rear hub to the lower lip of the rear fender.

I haven't measured my rear hub to fender lip height, but I will, so thanks for the reference numbers. I'm not sure how much mine is sagging unloaded, but when we went camping a couple weeks ago, I had it loaded with an 80 QT and 40 QT rotomolded coolers, two tents, two dry boxes full of food and kitchen equipment, two dry boxes full of bedding and other sundries, a weekend's worth of close for two adults and four kids, and two adults and four kids! Needless to say, it was sagging then and rather floaty/bouncing going down the highway.

With four kids, fully loaded seems to be norm. But, I think the springs I want are the 865s based on what you've said. I am not running a rear bumper.

As far as OEM shocks, unless I'm missing something, I'm getting ~$307 (without tax or shipping):

Front shock ~$42 each

Rear shock ~$47 each

Retainer/Washer kit ~$129

Thanks for the CruiserParts link! I got my cost from the prices on Olathe Toyota's website, adding the mounting hardware seperately. The $129 CruiserParts kit is $305 when purchased seperately! The bushings themselves are $17 apiece! As I was going through it, I thought, surely someone makes a kit for this!

Good to know! And you have the 860s, not the 865s?
Correct, 860s + fresh Toyota shocks. This is completely unloaded, no aftermarket bumpers.

9EC9AA23-AB21-4ED8-9EC9-C293EDD7B8CC.jpeg

With four kids, fully loaded seems to be norm. But, I think the springs I want are the 865s based on what you've said. I am not running a rear bumper.
The 865s will sag if that’s your norm. They’re over 1” shorter free height than stock springs despite having higher spring rate.

When I purchased my truck, the P/O had replaced the shocks with Monroe something or others... they are at least a couple of years old at this point, and they are getting tired. Some recent, heavily loaded road trips and camping trips have made this abundantly clear!

I was originally considering going with the OEM Toyota replacements. However, I am not counting on any of the Monroe mounting hardware being compatible. Replacing four shocks and all the associated mounting hardware is looking to be about $500 if bought online (Olathe, McGeorge), or about $700 if bought locally at Mr. T. On the other hand, I can get a set of four Bilstein 4600s--with all hardware--for $436 (although they appear to be backordered at the moment).

Pros/cons of Bilstein vs OEM Toyota? I've had Bilsteins in the past on Bimmers, and I've been very satisfied with them. Are their truck shocks equally good? I don't mind a little increase in stiffness (not a significant increase, though), and more longevity/durability is also a plus.

Also, with 243K, I think my rear springs are getting tired. I am correct that folks use the Old Man Emu 2860s in conjunction with OEM/stock height shocks for a little extra rear load carrying capacity with no lift?

I just swapped over to the Bilstein 4600s recently. I've put about 1K miles on them so far and they're great. Had both OEM and KYB previously.

I've got OEM LC rear springs, and no lift. I do use the TIMBREN SES system (Front and rear) to aid with towing and added weight.

Last edited:
Correct, 860s + fresh Toyota shocks. This is completely unloaded, no aftermarket bumpers.

View attachment 2416729

The 865s will sag if that’s your norm. They’re over 1” shorter free height than stock springs despite having higher spring rate.

That's great to know. Thanks!

How much of a stinkbug stance do you have unloaded? It doesn't look like much. Have you also adjusted your torsion bars to compensate?

I just swapped over to the Bilstein 4600s recently. I've put about 1K miles on them so far and they're great. Had both OEM and KYB previously and the Bilsteins are far superior. They're not stiff at all on mine. Very comfy and controlled shock.

I've got OEM LC rear springs, and no lift. I do use the TIMBREN SES system (Front and rear) to aid with towing and added weight.

That Timbren system looks interesting... probably overkill for my needs now, as I am not towing. But I like the idea of helper springs without the hassle and complexity of airbags!

I haven't measured my rear hub to fender lip height, but I will, so thanks for the reference numbers. I'm not sure how much mine is sagging unloaded, but when we went camping a couple weeks ago, I had it loaded with an 80 QT and 40 QT rotomolded coolers, two tents, two dry boxes full of food and kitchen equipment, two dry boxes full of bedding and other sundries, a weekend's worth of close for two adults and four kids, and two adults and four kids! Needless to say, it was sagging then and rather floaty/bouncing going down the highway.

Thanks for the CruiserParts link! I got my cost from the prices on Olathe Toyota's website, adding the mounting hardware seperately. The $129 CruiserParts kit is $305 when purchased seperately! The bushings themselves are $17 apiece! As I was going through it, I thought, surely someone makes a kit for this!
Donforget the OEM Tokico shocks comes with fresh cushions, 2 per shock. You just need to source or resuse the metal washers

For comparison I have an '04 with OME 865 rear springs and I'm sitting at 21.25" center of hub to fender unloaded with just added weight of sliders. They have settled some as I think it was closer to 22" when I first installed them. I'm also running OEM shocks from the dealer on the rear with no issues.

A note on the Bilstein 4600s, they were on my rig when I bought it and I liked them, until one of the rears broke while I was ~20 miles into a washboard dirt road and fully loaded for hunting camp. From what I have read, it was a common problem for them to break where the shaft attaches to the upper mount. The upper mount pin is significantly larger than the shaft. The problem was supposedly fixed at some point. Mine were installed by the PO @ Slee in November of 2016, and the break occurred in August of 2018. I replaced the rears with OEM at that point, the 4600s on the front are still going strong.

Just buy toyota OEM shocks and don't rely on other peoples experiences. It is clear that people on here with the exact same suspension setups have entirely different opionons, for example some love old man emu other say to stiff, same for bilstein.

Toyota OEM shocks provide a great ride for a rig like yours, if you end up adding more weight you can consider putting the light or medium duty springs in the rear. I have front and rear bumpers with OEM shocks and it does just fine. There are a lot of other factors to think about when it comes to a smooth ride.

don't rely on other peoples experiences.

Toyota OEM shocks provide a great ride for a rig like yours...

I have front and rear bumpers with OEM shocks and it does just fine.

Something about the apparent dichotomy of the above statements, amuses me. :)

I'm reading that as "Don't rely on other's experiences, but here's my experience."

Something about the apparent dichotomy of the above statements, amuses me. :)

I'm reading that as "Don't rely on other's experiences, but here's my experience."

My point was I have never heard anyone with bad experiences with Toyota shocks on a stock ride height cruiser., but when it comes to aftermarket everybody is a critic and has different experiences. Way to over analyze that though

Interesting. And where are Tokico shocks purchased? At an attractive price of course.
I found prices on McGeorge Toyota and then call my local Toyota dealership and ask them to match. That seems to be the best deal anywhere, when you consider shipping etc.

Just buy toyota OEM shocks and don't rely on other peoples experiences. It is clear that people on here with the exact same suspension setups have entirely different opionons, for example some love old man emu other say to stiff, same for bilstein.

Toyota OEM shocks provide a great ride for a rig like yours, if you end up adding more weight you can consider putting the light or medium duty springs in the rear. I have front and rear bumpers with OEM shocks and it does just fine. There are a lot of other factors to think about when it comes to a smooth ride.
I gotta agree with this. I enjoyed brand new OEM shocks until I broke a rear one. It is the only time I have ever heard of an OEM shock breaking and even then it was in a very abusive off road situation.
For reference:

I have run new oem shocks and currently have bilstein on my new hundy. I prefer the slightly increased stiffness of the bilstein ride. I also have the Dobinson springs in the back, they provide 1/2" of lift, available on amazon. The ride quality is notable better (better small bump compliance and increased weight carrying capacity) than the stock springs and very comparable to OME in my experience. Description is misleading, they work, just call Dobinson for confirmation.
Amazon product ASIN B01LXAVVLO
IMG_20200829_141030938.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom