Seeking advice on selling a rusty 2003 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

New to ih8mud, so I hope this is the correct forum for this. I bought my 2003 a couple of years ago without inspecting the car myself because I was at school abroad. I had my parents check it out for me, but it turned out that the car was much rustier underneath than it looked in pictures. I've been chasing corrosion related issues since I bought it. I'm still a student and it has gotten to the point where I can't afford to keep up with necessary repairs.

The latest issue is a problem with the transfer case that my local dealership told me would cost hundreds to diagnose and would most likely leave the car un-drivable because the transfer case would fall apart if they went in to diagnose the problem. The car also needs a new evap cannister, there is a fuel leak, exhaust leak, and there is some body rot on the underside.

I want to get rid of the car, but I don't really know the best way to go about it given the amount of work it needs. I've attached a few pictures below.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Dylan M.

IMG_7592.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

Yikes, if you want to be shady go to trade it in at night when it's rainy, hope the appraiser gets lazy and doesn't bend down to look at the carnage, take what he gives you.

My LX looks like that. I still run it. Run it to the ground.

Fix the fuel leak first, that should be your priority and the EVAP while you're at it.

Fix the leak and make it a dedicated trail rig. Or just keep it for parts. Chances are you will buy another one

Edit.

Sorry, didn’t read everything. That’s a lot wrong. Maybe trade it in and take the hit?

If you don’t have the time for it, that’s probably your best option. Or part it out, but that would involve a time commitment as well.

Last edited:
What a bummer! In years past I've had to unload some unfortunate vehicles. Not much fun.

I think you first need to decide what a fair price is for your truck - or at least, if you were so inclined, and knowing what you know, what would you pay for it? ( Things generally sell easily when they are priced correctly. )

ideas that come to mind:

1. Criagslist or similar - spell out what you know to be wrong with it. someone may be looking for a project.
2. Try using it as a trade in - as suggested above.
3. Public auction.

And remember the wise words of the Grinch: "One man's toxic sludge is another man's potpourri" :)

Gil

To me thats a parts vehicle and a good learning lesson.

Its either parts for cash or just see what someone will offer you, very hard to guage a price with that much rust but it may be worth something to someone who doesnt mind a bit of dodgy welding and rust converter treatments. Being a student i doubt you are in a position to strip and sell for parts so maybe ask around or ask for offers online as EOI .
Im sure you are on here for something hopeful but the reality is that much rust will be hard to offload as 'driveable' but im sure that 2UZ under the hood is more than driveable and worth something along with a clean interior

Front end doesn't look as bad as the back. Guessing this rig was used to launch a boat in the Atlantic. I'm local to you and rust is a never ending battle. I've been treating my 100 for the last 5 years with Krown, fluid film, and NH oil undercoating and while there's no structural rot it's far from pristine.

There's a small shop in NH next to NH Oil Undercoating (call NHOU for the name) who will fix your fuel leak and weld up your structural rot. I would get a quote from them before selling. If you decide to sell you can pass along the discount and info to the next buyer. Unfortunately, it may be tough to sell as is.

Not sure where you live near Boston, but if you need a good independent mechanic that knows Cruisers and want a second opinion, try Gus at Volsar Automotive in Medford.

Last edited:
I would also contact Toyota and let them know that you have a safety concern. It will serve as another drop into their decision making bucket toward doing something in the future for LC owners.

Have no idea the money your trying to get but easiest would be to trade in on a different truck. Dealers in your area are used to rust and will put a value on it relative to your area.

Front end doesn't look as bad as the back. Guessing this rig was used to launch a boat in the Atlantic. I'm local to you and rust is a never ending battle. I've been treating my 100 for the last 5 years with Krown, fluid film, and NH oil undercoating and while there's no structural rot it's far from pristine.

There's a small shop in NH next to NH Oil Undercoating (call NHOU for the name) who will fix your fuel leak and weld up your structural rot. I would get a quote from them before selling. If you decide to sell you can pass along the discount and info to the next buyer. Unfortunately, it may be tough to sell as is.

Not sure where you live near Boston, but if you need a good independent mechanic that knows Cruisers and want a second opinion, try Gus at Volsar Automotive in Medford.

Thanks for the recs. I think you might be right that its going to be hard to sell as is. I'll definitely check out the place near NHOU and Volsar Automotive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom