Seeking advice on selling a 1997 LX450 - where, how much, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks pretty solid to me. Would be a great truck to start with. There's also the auction site Cars and Bids. They will usually take cars like this. Might have to list No Reserve.

Looks fine, but like I said, it's not showing the areas that are the first to go.

They did? First I've heard of this.

Anyway, I'm not telling them to steam clean the thing or go nuts with degreaser, just get the dust and filth off so that people can tell what they're looking at. Same with the engine and engine compartment.
I think tidying up is a good idea, and I will have to find a way to get it on a lift or some other way to get better pictures. Hopefully I won't end up on the ground trying to take a bunch of pictures. Thanks y'all - and if there are any other thoughts I'm open to them all.

Looks pretty solid to me. Would be a great truck to start with. There's also the auction site Cars and Bids. They will usually take cars like this. Might have to list No Reserve.
Thanks for the recommendations on the auction sites. And overall I think this would be a good one to build upon. Will be looking into those options. Again, thanks!

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, check the classifieds listing here on Mud under the 80/LX450 area...that'll give you a good idea.

The entire rig looks clean...GLWS!

They did? First I've heard of this.
X2 on the factory undercoating. I have seen several if not most without. I have asked a few times here and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately mine had it and it was done horribly and leads me to assume it was a dealer add on and option that your offered when pithing the unnecessary additional warranty, not factory. Pretty sure they missed most parts that would benefit from it. I would have rather had it without if I would have known about it but also don't live in the rustbelt.

In Texas it might be better but here in Arkansas these things are hard to move right now. People are anticipating a recession. I might consider listing it in Colorado where there's still more of a market for these.

In Texas it might be better but here in Arkansas these things are hard to move right now. People are anticipating a recession. I might consider listing it in Colorado where there's still more of a market for these.
Posting it up in the PNW would also bring a lot of $$$

They're still a high premium up here.

I went to look at a '96 and had it not been for the HG being blown, she would have asked $13k (with 300K miles)
I sent messages back and forth with a guy who has a 1994 (with an immaculate interior, cloth) where he wants $7500
I've seen 1997's with under 250K miles go for no less than $15K, and those are in rough condition.

Just depends on where, I guess.

It was discussed a long time ago on the forum that our 80 series had a brown waxy substance sprayed on the undercarriage before they left Japan. Some think it was more to protect it from salt air exposure on the way over to the US and not actually meant for long term rust protection. But IME if left alone it does offer protection.

Some dealerships, as part of the dealer prep, pressure washed or steam cleaned the undercarriage of these when they first arrived new on the lot which removed the protective coating so it would look nice. It's also true that some dealerships added their own rustproofing.

Actually when I bought my first new Land Cruiser eons ago I spent hours at the dealership trying to get a good deal and it was much like the scene from Fargo above. The salesman kept adding on this or that, then walking away, coming back after (probably not) talking to his manager, etc,etc. The price of the Extended Warranty changed about six times (lower) before I agreed to add it to the deal. I'm a lot smarter now in negotiations, I think.

But then again, the industry has changed, they can't get away with some of the BS they did years ago.

Last edited:
For the antenna only going partially up, try pushing the "up" button on the dash above the gear shift.
Power off is all the way down, "power on + down" has 2-3" exposed, "power on + up" is full extension.
The line in the center of the antenna can fail, the gears on the motor can fail, but try this first.
1657318769921.png

That's a good tip. Thanks! We love Arkansas - been 3 times in the past couple of years. Y'all have the nicest state parks I have ever been to, period.

For the antenna only going partially up, try pushing the "up" button on the dash above the gear shift.
Power off is all the way down, "power on + down" has 2-3" exposed, "power on + up" is full extension.
The line in the center of the antenna can fail, the gears on the motor can fail, but try this first.
View attachment 3053777
So I gave all of this a try, and yeah - nothing. It's stuck perhaps 1-2" extended. I'll give it another shot in the morning. Thanks for the tip!

It was discussed a long time ago on the forum that our 80 series had a brown waxy substance sprayed on the undercarriage before they left Japan. Some think it was more to protect it from salt air exposure on the way over to the US and not actually meant for long term rust protection. But IME if left alone it does offer protection.

Some dealerships, as part of the dealer prep, pressure washed or steam cleaned the undercarriage of these when they first arrived new on the lot which removed the protective coating so it would look nice. It's also true that some dealerships added their own rustproofing.

Actually when I bought my first new Land Cruiser eons ago I spent hours at the dealership trying to get a good deal and it was much like the scene from Fargo above. The salesman kept adding on this or that, then walking away, coming back after (probably not) talking to his manager, etc,etc. The price of the Extended Warranty changed about six times (lower) before I agreed to add it to the deal. I'm a lot smarter now in negotiations, I think.

But then again, the industry has changed, they can't get away with some of the BS they did years ago.
This is some interesting history/insight on these 80 series. And dealerships now play the "Protection Package" game as a way to extract a few thousand more on top of MSRP. Nitro in tires for $125, etching for $249, door edge guards for $198, tint for $300 (just the front door windows), a $75 cargo organizer, and so on. These are real prices from a dealership here in the area, where they add this package to all vehicles, apparently even if you were to order one and take immediate delivery upon arrival. They get so lazy with their itemization and just have another $999 for a "3-year environmental protection" (huh).

Posting it up in the PNW would also bring a lot of $$$

They're still a high premium up here.

I went to look at a '96 and had it not been for the HG being blown, she would have asked $13k (with 300K miles)
I sent messages back and forth with a guy who has a 1994 (with an immaculate interior, cloth) where he wants $7500
I've seen 1997's with under 250K miles go for no less than $15K, and those are in rough condition.

Just depends on where, I guess.
Oh, that may be a good market as well. I guess its all about where the buyers are. So let me ask this - if one were to list it for sale in say Colo, or Wash/Ore/NorCal but the vehicle is located in Texas, would we as the seller pay for the transport to the buyer so that it's a "local purchase?" Would that be customary, or expected in a situation like that?

Oh, that may be a good market as well. I guess its all about where the buyers are. So let me ask this - if one were to list it for sale in say Colo, or Wash/Ore/NorCal but the vehicle is located in Texas, would we as the seller pay for the transport to the buyer so that it's a "local purchase?" Would that be customary, or expected in a situation like that?
Good question...I think that's an answer between the buyer and seller to hash out. I know that if I were going to buy a LC that was in good running condition and had a stack of maintenance, I would prefer to drive it back myself...but, some people aren't like this. And with the cost of fuel, it might be better to ship it.

In the long run, and in my opinion, if I'm the buyer and I'm going to transport it, it's up to me to secure/finance transport. Now, you as the seller, if you wantt o come down say, $500 in the price to help the buyer, that's up to you...but not expected (in my opinion).

Say you post it for $15k and someone up here wants it...they might offer $13k to help offset the cost of the flight out there and gas back...If I were the seller, I'd probably be agreeable to this. If they wanted to transport it, I'd probably stick closer to a final price of $14k.

I hope that long answer to a short question helps :)

Good question...I think that's an answer between the buyer and seller to hash out. I know that if I were going to buy a LC that was in good running condition and had a stack of maintenance, I would prefer to drive it back myself...but, some people aren't like this. And with the cost of fuel, it might be better to ship it.

In the long run, and in my opinion, if I'm the buyer and I'm going to transport it, it's up to me to secure/finance transport. Now, you as the seller, if you wantt o come down say, $500 in the price to help the buyer, that's up to you...but not expected (in my opinion).

Say you post it for $15k and someone up here wants it...they might offer $13k to help offset the cost of the flight out there and gas back...If I were the seller, I'd probably be agreeable to this. If they wanted to transport it, I'd probably stick closer to a final price of $14k.

I hope that long answer to a short question helps :)
That makes a lot of sense because it's reasonable. Auctioning off the vehicle on a platform with its fees and the buyer arranging transport I would think also yields about the same likely results for both the seller and the buyer. Thanks for weighing in - greatly appreciated!

On second thought, be careful of scams when dealing with people wanting to have the vehicle shipped to them. Usually best to deal locally if you can.

On second thought, be careful of scams when dealing with people wanting to have the vehicle shipped to them. Usually best to deal locally if you can.
Or if the person is willing to travel. That goes a long ways also.

So interesting - will have to look up what common scams there are with people wanting vehicles shipped to them. I assume it has something to do with some of the funds not coming through or something like that, yet the vehicle is shipped off? Or somehow the funds are "recalled." Will definitely have to be vigilant - thanks for the heads-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom