Seeking Advice on FJ40 Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can care less about a poll; before I spend serious cash, I'm asking people with more experience than I if there are significant advantages with one over the other.
Thanks for your contribution.

Well my experience tells me you need to start with requirements for us to give you informed advice. Otherwise this is another aimless thread like many others.
Your comment about compound turbos left me a bit perplexed with what your intentions are....

I went with the 2.8L CRD (VM Motori) because 1. I owned a Liberty with it for years so I knew the issues and the fixes... and 2. It had a factory stand alone auto trans. In hind sight I kinda wished I went with the 2.8 Duramax or the 3.0 Dodge diesel. Only because there are a couple parts that people are saying are getting unobtainable on the 2.8CRD. But so far, I have not had a problem.

I hope I don't get flamed for this.. But, I did a 4bt in a 60 years ago. I hated it... way too loud, rattled all my teeth out and not near enough power for me. (that said, I think the 6 cylinder is way more balanced.) And, yes, I had it hopped up. lol.(I don't leave anything stock. lol) I pulled the Cummins out and put a 4bd2 Isuzu in. Waaaay quieter and had waaay more power. I did put the Cummins turbo on the Isuzu. Was a beautiful upgrade. If memory serves me correct, I think I got a ton of my info from @Dougal over on 4bt swaps. I sold the 60 to @coog, He can testify to the power of the Isuzu.

I just like to think outside the box. Toyota makes an awesome diesel, and so does some of the newer stateside vehicles if you want to play. But....playing is expensive. lol. HTH...

Well my experience tells me you need to start with requirements for us to give you informed advice. Otherwise this is another aimless thread like many others.
Your comment about compound turbos left me a bit perplexed with what your intentions are....
Good point. I mentioned compound turbos because I had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Cummins 4bt with compound turbos. This is a crate motor, sold this way and is documented to produce 180 hp fairly conservatively. I suppose my biggest goal is to create a reliable "daily" driver; however, I don't want to do it at the expense of uncovered, underwhelmed drivability. Since I am looking for reliability, I am trying to find a new motor or remanufactuted motor solution. I am capable of rebuilding something, but I am not sure I want to direct my time there as I have a lot of projects requiring attention.
Every direction is expensive when I price them, so I'm not overly concerned with one option over the next.
Long winded; however, there are quite a few good options these days and I don't feel that I need to compromise between reliability, decent mileage and drivability (which for me means I can effortly pass another vehicle on the roadway, can comfortably navigate mountain trails, etc).
Thanks!
I went with the 2.8L CRD (VM Motori) because 1. I owned a Liberty with it for years so I knew the issues and the fixes... and 2. It had a factory stand alone auto trans. In hind sight I kinda wished I went with the 2.8 Duramax or the 3.0 Dodge diesel. Only because there are a couple parts that people are saying are getting unobtainable on the 2.8CRD. But so far, I have not had a problem.

I hope I don't get flamed for this.. But, I did a 4bt in a 60 years ago. I hated it... way too loud, rattled all my teeth out and not near enough power for me. (that said, I think the 6 cylinder is way more balanced.) And, yes, I had it hopped up. lol.(I don't leave anything stock. lol) I pulled the Cummins out and put a 4bd2 Isuzu in. Waaaay quieter and had waaay more power. I did put the Cummins turbo on the Isuzu. Was a beautiful upgrade. If memory serves me correct, I think I got a ton of my info from @Dougal over on 4bt swaps. I sold the 60 to @coog, He can testify to the power of the Isuzu.

I just like to think outside the box. Toyota makes an awesome diesel, and so does some of the newer stateside vehicles if you want to play. But....playing is expensive. lol. HTH...
Thank you for that feedback! Under the suggestion of some, I have gone down the road of reaching certain options and found exactly that; parts scarcity or unavailability. The Cummins R2.8 is an example and parts appear to be getting more unavailable fir tge 1HZ.

Good point. I mentioned compound turbos because I had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Cummins 4bt with compound turbos. This is a crate motor, sold this way and is documented to produce 180 hp fairly conservatively. I suppose my biggest goal is to create a reliable "daily" driver; however, I don't want to do it at the expense of uncovered, underwhelmed drivability. Since I am looking for reliability, I am trying to find a new motor or remanufactuted motor solution. I am capable of rebuilding something, but I am not sure I want to direct my time there as I have a lot of projects requiring attention.
Every direction is expensive when I price them, so I'm not overly concerned with one option over the next.
Long winded; however, there are quite a few good options these days and I don't feel that I need to compromise between reliability, decent mileage and drivability (which for me means I can effortly pass another vehicle on the roadway, can comfortably navigate mountain trails, etc).
Thanks!

Thank you for that feedback! Under the suggestion of some, I have gone down the road of reaching certain options and found exactly that; parts scarcity or unavailability. The Cummins R2.8 is an example and parts appear to be getting more unavailable fir tge 1HZ.
That helps, with that info you can rule out most of the Japanese offerings if parts availability is a concern. Parts availability for 1HZ is actually a non-issue but, it is not going to meet your power requirements if you want to "effortly pass" anyone. Your drivability requirements should have you looking at turbo charged direct injected offerings. Compound turbos should not be required. Keep in mind the more you modify to meet your requirements such as adding a turbo for the HZ or Mercedes diesel you are sacrificing reliability and repairability since you will be working with one-off fabricated parts.

Looks like the 1HD-FTE is capable of good power 510kW/684whp 1550Nm at wheels 1HD-FTE!!!!!!!

Thanks!

180hp for a compound 4BT is suspiciously low. If anyone who knows what they're doing built one it would be around 300hp even with the VE injection pump. It is no problem to get 250hp from a 4BT with a good single turbo (HX30 Super) and intercooler.

I think NVH of a 40 series with 4BT would be unbearable for most usage though. That's a loud vehicle with a loud engine and no vibration isolation between body and chassis.

The Isuzu and Toyota engines will be a lot quieter and smoother. Mercedes likely even more so.

Looks like the 1HD-FTE is capable of good power 510kW/684whp 1550Nm at wheels 1HD-FTE!!!!!!!

Great result. But the life support system for an engine like that gets huge. Air-cleaners to support that power are enormous, gearboxes are too and 40 series wheelbase is short.

180hp for a compound 4BT is suspiciously low. If anyone who knows what they're doing built one it would be around 300hp even with the VE injection pump. It is no problem to get 250hp from a 4BT with a good single turbo (HX30 Super) and intercooler.

I think NVH of a 40 series with 4BT would be unbearable for most usage though. That's a loud vehicle with a loud engine and no vibration isolation between body and chassis.

The Isuzu and Toyota engines will be a lot quieter and smoother. Mercedes likely even more so.

Great result. But the life support system for an engine like that gets huge. Air-cleaners to support that power are enormous, gearboxes are too and 40 series wheelbase is short.
Yeah, I thought that as well; however, I'm just now familiarizing myself with the 4bt. The motor is from Big Bear Engines. Perhaps it's underrated.
That is very impressive on the 1HD-FTE, but I wouldn't be looking to push it that hard. I think 200-300 hp in the 40 would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, I thought that as well; however, I'm just now familiarizing myself with the 4bt. The motor is from Big Bear Engines. Perhaps it's underrated.
That is very impressive on the 1HD-FTE, but I wouldn't be looking to push it that hard. I think 200-300 hp in the 40 would be pretty sweet.
Just sharing whatā€™s possible. And what fits nice!!!

That could be a stock Cummins ISB/ISF with 180hp. They did factory compound versions with about that power range. They'll be a lot more refined than the old 4BT.

Lol! Mounts are easy, where do I get a new/low mileage 1HD-FTE! Any leads?!?
We have pieced some together for a few people, it's not a cheap exercise, but can be done.

Best bet is to find one here on mud. More details here 1HD-FTE Crate Motor - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-fte-crate-motor.810747/

Thereā€™s eBay, AliExpress, Facebook etc. but this motor is only available across the pond rare to find in US market. There are also versions with variable vain turbos too.
Hey, I appreciate the advice! I did reach out to a few guys in Aus and I found a source for a new long block; however, it's about $14k excluding shipping. I figured it would be pricey, but at the prices I'm seeing I'm not sure swapping it out weights the more affordable Duramax option.

Hey, I appreciate the advice! I did reach out to a few guys in Aus and I found a source for a new long block; however, it's about $14k excluding shipping. I figured it would be pricey, but at the prices I'm seeing I'm not sure swapping it out weights the more affordable Duramax option.

this one might me in the USA already

Last edited:
Search in Mud for reviews from them. No experience. Just have seen many threads...

This does not surprise me. These engines are in HIGH demand in Australia for engine conversion into older or lesser powered cruisers in Australia.

Shipping to USA would be thousands.

@SNLC may have some input on sourcing these for USA

i donno 13K USD with transmission and its already in the USA seems pretty good to me
For a motor with 275,000 km? I know they are diesels, but I'm not sure I'd want to do a full build and throw in a motor/tranny with that many miles. Am I looking at that incorrectly? Not sure what a rebuild would be be, but guessing that it would be pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom