See how a Dual Case can take your truck to an entirely new level [video] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigMike

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marlincrawler.com
What's up Mudders!

BigMike from Marlin Crawler here. We've put up another TacoBox demonstration video showcasing the speed differences between Stock Low Range, Dual Low Range, and Quintuple Low Range, which is the full gauntlet of speeds you get when you install a Marlin Crawler TacoBox into your auto or manual 1995 and newer Tacoma, 4Runner, T100, FJ Cruiser, Tundra, Sequoia, & GX470.

This video was created to showcase that on difficult obstacles, going fast can actually be slower than Crawling, where you let the truck search for traction in a safe and controlled manner which is only possible with the low gearing from the TacoBox.

That 254:1 is LOW. But, you're right, much less stress and much more control. I have long thought that 4lo is kinda good for a lot of things, but not perfect for many things. I wish I could have 4 hi, 4med (max speed 40pmh), and then 4lo like your taco box.

Hello Tony,

For a Hilux pickup, 4Runner, or Tacoma, a 4med would be like stock low range. For example, in my Tacoma, stock low range with stock gearing and tires topped out in 6th gear at about 60-65 MPH (but this was literally redlined in 6th gear....who does that haha) So 40 MPH was a very comfortable speed for stock low range (engine speed only about 3000-3500 RPM).

For me, having a final drive ratio lower than ~80:1 is used a lot, 95% of the trails I wheel. But you're right that anything over ~200:1 is only used for the more serious, technical sections and boyyy or boyyyyy am I glad that I have that extra Marlin Crawler shift lever when it's needed!! Simply come to a stop, engage, get through the technical section without any body damage or axle breakage, then disengage and return back to ~80:1 and resume. It's an awesome experience!

My truck now has Triple Cases so that I can demonstrate a wide range of different gearing speeds and is 580:1 thanks to the Marlin Crawler (MC08-XD Hilux-style Dual Case + MC11-XD Tacoma-style TacoBox). Here are a few shots of 580:1 vs Gravity:

Just to be clear: Triple Cases is entirely unnecessary :D We use it for marketing and an abundant amount of gearing demonstrations (this truck currently has 48 different forward speeds and 8 differnet reverse speeds so it can compare and contrast against a wide variety of examples)

Regards,
BigMike

I've been trying to buy a TacoBox for my 2017 since I got it in November of that year. Any progress?

There is no question that this truck will benefit from dual cases. Stock low range is too high for precise driving in technical terrain. The 2GR-FKS engine in my truck does not develop much torque until 2500 rpm and above 3000 it is much better. It is ridiculous trying to crawl with the stock low-range ratio at these rpms. This truck begs for a crawl box. The promise of the Marlin TacoBox was the reason I opted for a Tacoma. There is a lot to love about this platform and the TacoBox was going to solve what I saw a a major shortcoming for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom