See a problem with these headlights ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked these up to give my 82 FJ60 a little modern flare . Haven’t had a chance to install yet but I’m hoping they drop right in and works well. Has anybody else used them ? I didn’t go LED because they seem like a headache .

F43E5B34-9297-4D8C-8CC9-1674B0F474C2.jpeg

They will probably work, but my advice... Return them and buy 81110-60P70

No point installing halogens that are not Toyota parts with upgraded wiring.

Pics of them here. Post #810

That single part number gets you everything.

Last edited:
Just updated my previous post. Sorry I didn’t include right away.
Available at your local dealer.

My local dealer has halogen lights for an 82 7” round . I looked around a little from your part # you supplied and I’m not seeing it . Maybe I’m looking in all the wrong places .

Give the dealership that part number. The description in their system sounds like one light but it’s literally all those parts. Totally worth it.

Give the dealership that part number. The description in their system sounds like one light but it’s literally all those parts. Totally worth it.

Will do it tomorrow . I was looking for exactly what you shared but couldn’t find anything so I ended up with what you see.

With anything other than LED you'll need a harness upgrade so you don't melt the connectors or possibly fry wiring. The Toyota # given comes with a plug-in harness.

They will probably work, but my advice... Return them and buy 81110-60P70

No point installing halogens that are not Toyota parts with upgraded wiring.

Pics of them here. Post #810

That single part number gets you everything.

Just ordered from my local dealer and they will be here tomorrow for $53 can't bitch about that but I hope they're the correct ones. I should probably responded to that thread you sent me however it's pretty effin long and the light portion is buried deep in that thread.

It looks to me like there was a water proof box added and a circuit breaker. Is that needed ? Is this plug and play or I have to do some wiring? I have no problem doing just about anything I just would like to know what I'm getting into so I can start rounding up parts.

Thanks again.

With anything other than LED you'll need a harness upgrade so you don't melt the connectors or possibly fry wiring. The Toyota # given comes with a plug-in harness.

If you only run the 55/60 watt bulb the stock harness won't have any issues. If you decide to up the wattage though a new harness becomes a must. The better answer is just that a new harness will result in better light performance because there is so much internal resistance in the old wiring given that its 30+ years old now.

Subscribed.

If you only run the 55/60 watt bulb the stock harness won't have any issues.

Halogen H4 bulbs produce a LOT of heat, a lot more than the stock sealed-beam. You will melt the connectors that plug onto the bulb if you use the stock ones; they're not designed for the high-temps... At minimum, if you switch to Halogen, you need a ceramic adapter.

1591297974146.png

I just put these on my BJ74. There is NO LIGHT KIT period that compares price wise/performance to this setup.

Bolt in, OEM, housings, bulbs, relays, zip ties. Use the harness they give you, it easily just plugs in and gives the best performance.

Halogen H4 bulbs produce a LOT of heat, a lot more than the stock sealed-beam. You will melt the connectors that plug onto the bulb if you use the stock ones; they're not designed for the high-temps... At minimum, if you switch to Halogen, you need a ceramic adapter.

View attachment 2329533

The reason the connector itself melts is often due to a loose connector or corrosion buildup. Sometimes its a result of using cheap bulbs that have a higher internal resistance. The heat that a 55/60 watt bulb generates should not be enough to cause a melting issue at the connector if its in good condition. The ceramic units you posted certainly wont hurt to eliminate melt worries at the bulb itself but you could see a melting issue where they plug into the old harness if those terminals are still corroded and have worn loose over time. Be aware I am stressing 55/60w here. If you decide to run some 80/100 or even higher rated bulbs then you will start to stress your stock harness and you might experience issues.

I should say that the stock wiring harness will have no problem running the 55/60 watt H4 bulb common to the Euro style housing conversion. The caveat being that the stock harness is now 30+ years old and you can only benefit from putting in a new harness with individual relays, fuses, and dedicated power and ground wires. Not only will you be able to run higher wattage bulbs but you will see less voltage drop between the battery and the bulb.

I only mention these things because many people ask about swapping out the sealed beams for the 7" conversion lights and the info they get is they need to rewire everything when in reality thats just not the case. Make sure your headlight connectors are clean and the terminals slide over the bulb tightly and that the old plastic isn't damaged or cracked and run the 55/60 bulb and you will be fine.

I did measure my voltage at my lights while running and my recollection is I saw a 1.5v drop from the battery to the lights when engine was running. So wiring in a pair of relays with you wiring to each housing and a heavier gage could really help to eliminate most of that drop and boost light output significantly.

If I just google search the number one of the first hits is a dealer site and this is in the description:

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • Description:
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS PART NUMBER COMES AS A SET OF TWO LAMPS!

$74 shipping. Ugh.

Tried a different site and it was $112 shipping.

I might actually try our local ‘MSRP + Market Adjustment’ Toyota dealer...
Try ebay....I just did and it was 54 plus 18 shipping. Pretty sure it is from a dealership not far from me, but I dont like to run around for parts so it is worth it. My headlights sucked really bad when I got mine and I traded out the sealed lights only and not they just suck. Hoping with the new wiring harness it will be brighter...we will see.
FJ60Paddle.JPG

My headlights sucked really bad when I got mine and I traded out the sealed lights only and not they just suck. Hoping with the new wiring harness it will be brighter...we will see.

Make sure you have good bulbs, too. Hella 100/55W bulbs will help the high beams a lot but *need* relays. The low beam is standard wattage so you won’t be a jerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom