Sedona Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are some good trails around Sedona? I'll be running broken arrow next month and thought of doing smiley rock but I really don't want to run though any washes (trying to avoid pinstripping as well). Espcially, since I'll be coming from 5 hours away.

oak creek homestead is nice with possible water crossing
there is a section of greasy spoon that is fun

I just posted some detail trail guides with gps numbers on adventure4x4.net
http://adventure4x4.net/waiting/showthread.php?t=2202
I ran these myself to get the numbers and notes...the guides are geared towards taking a group but the info is still the same for you alone.

*House Mountain is easy but very scenic.
*Pipeline Trail (west halfof Greasy Spoon) is fun and very scenic
*West Pipeline SW of Casner Mountain is twisty and explorative
*Soldier's Pass is short, though fun
*Oak Creek Homestead has a nice ending at the Oak Creek (no water crossing though). The west entry is the scenic way.

*House Mountain is easy but very scenic.
*Pipeline Trail (west halfof Greasy Spoon) is fun and very scenic
*West Pipeline SW of Casner Mountain is twisty and explorative
*Soldier's Pass is short, though fun
*Oak Creek Homestead has a nice ending at the Oak Creek (no water crossing though). The west entry is the scenic way.

Thanks for the replies guys. You two are more than welcome to come along on a December 1 run I'm trying to plan (MoGas has given me some advice but I haven't heard from him lately. So I don't know if he's even interested anymore).

It's supposed to be with a group from TTORA and Yotatech members but I've gotten mixed responses and I'm trying to keep the group on the smaller side.
Might even get some snow during that time.

oak creek homestead is nice with possible water crossing
there is a section of greasy spoon that is fun

I just posted some detail trail guides with gps numbers on adventure4x4.net
http://adventure4x4.net/waiting/showthread.php?t=2202
I ran these myself to get the numbers and notes...the guides are geared towards taking a group but the info is still the same for you alone.

I still need a trail leader for the run. Interested?

Thanks very much for the invite but I have another small run in with some friends that weekend...camp & run too much fun :)

The water crossing on Oak Creek Homestead might be a new thing...but it looks like it has been used quite a bit...
it is at the "lunch spot" under the trees on oak creek and only allows you to cross and run around 1/8 on the other side. The trail dwindles to horse track over there.

Thanks very much for the invite but I have another small run in with some friends that weekend...camp & run too much fun :)

The water crossing on Oak Creek Homestead might be a new thing...but it looks like it has been used quite a bit...
it is at the "lunch spot" under the trees on oak creek and only allows you to cross and run around 1/8 on the other side. The trail dwindles to horse track over there.

Not a problem. Have fun wheeling.

One other question (well two actully). I'm looking for a GPS that I can enter the coordinates into. What would recommend (I don't have alot to spend) and how long is the trail (mileage and time wise)?

Oh wow the classic gps question...
I might not be the best to answer that since I am an over the top navigational nut :)
I run a laptop with oziexplorer for topo & aerial photos and Iguidance for street nav...
For a great setup I have seen the Garmin 276c used by lots of folks and it does streets and topo pretty well, also removable for theft issues.
The Lowrance Baja big sucker is something I would have if not for my laptop, best screen, super tough but not as easy to remove.
I just got a etrex legend color at the last REI garage sale to play with and it seems pretty good, small and I need topo maps but pretty good.
The real questions are what are your plans...
Streets & off road?
USA only or international
are you good with a map & compass?
do you want to be able to do other things also (like I want to journal, kids watch dvds, internet access, download pics and more,,,,hence the laptop)
is your rig open air & dusty, is water an issue, theft?

All in all lots of people seem happy with the garmin 276c and I was just looking at it last night with a dr buddy at compuplus.com I think for $400...not sure if you still need maps or not with that.
REI has lots of stuff and other outdoor shops.

On the trail length none of the trails in sedona are long...couple of hours each really

I am sure others will chime in with gps suggestion also. lots of threads on the main mud forums

Walmart/Sports Authority has two different handheld Garmin GPS that I'm looking at (searched a little on ih8mud and most recommend Garmin). They are within in my price range. I mainly just plan to use it for mtn.biking/hiking/offroading/fishing use. No international stuff for me and I don't plan to use it in the city. Thanks

then go for the garmin 60 I think it is called....very popular and lots of people like that one also

I got a GPS it's one of Garmin eTrex and it came with the topo software. It may not be the greatest but it's what I could afford.

If anyone is interested in coming on the Dec. 1 run let me know. Don't expect anything to exciting though (running Broken Arrow and Oak Creek Homestead or Smiley Rock)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom