Secutiry drawer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone knew of any alternative to tuffy's security drawer, looking to get something like that but 350-400 seems high for a metal box. I really dont need a lockable box, wasnt sure if someone knew of a good inexpensive alternative from Home depot or something alone those lines.

Thanks, B

where would this mount? center consol or rear? i wondered about makeing some welding up a box isnt hard nor is putting in some enice locks and latches.

mike

I searched for a long time -- I don't think you'll find much in the way of alternatives.

In the end, I went with a drawer system (details in the drawer thread in outfitting).

What are you planning on stowing in there?

Mike, i would mount it in the rear cargo area. I was just looking around on slee's sight and saw where they did two tuffy boxes mounted on top of one another and then ply wood over the whole thing. i loved the setup and was looking for something similar.

Doug, i saw your setup and yes, its awesome. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something kind of cheaper i could pick up. I think i would put everything in the drawer that is floating around my cargo area right now, tools, tool bag, parts, extra fluids, recovery stuff. i currently have my spare in the rear and a 10 inch sub, was thinking of putting them on top of the plywood with the drawer underneath.

For cheap you could look at the lockable Rubbermaid tool chests or Action Packers. I've also seen boxes for pickups that sit inside the bed rather than over the bed, that might work too.

B,

Long time ago I found a lockable box at a Millitary surplus store that was nice and low profile. It may have contained film or some such thing and was bright yellow. On a previous vehicle, I bolted this thing down to the floor and was a great lock box for cheap.

Just a thought.

Military X-ray containers. 100% dust and waterproof. If they are seal at high altitude it is a bear to open them, thats how tight they are.

2183.jpg

The biggest drawback is the gazillion toggle type clasp's. Someday when I have some spare time I'll grind 3/4 of them off and add a hinge on the rear side of mine.

The action packers and military boxes seem to be a good route but i was really hoping to place a solid peice of carpeted plywood over the whole thing, so top-opening containers dont help a whole lot....oh well, i'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom