1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security lug nut broken

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by dace voit, Mar 6, 2007.

1. dace voit

dace voit

So, I am in the process of doing a boatload of PM to my new (to me) '97. The brake system needs to be flushed and I am the man to do it. I am walking around the rig loosening all of the lug nuts before I jack up the rear of the vehicle. I get all of the hex nuts loose and move on to the security lugs. First one, loosened. Second one, POP! One edge of the nut broke off.:doh: To make matters worse, the pattern in the key was marred so that it doesn't work on any of the other security nuts.:doh::doh:.

Any Ideas about the best way to attack this at home? My tool selection is somewhat limited(no compressor or air tools...). Thanks.

2. Scamper

Scamper

3. 80krazE

80krazE

This has happened to many of us here. For me, I went to Sears and other parts stores and could not find bolt-outs big enough. I tried several methods.

Solution, hammer a 20mm or 21mm socket onto the serurity lug, then use ratchet to drive lug off. You might have to bang the socket several times to get it on the lug, but once the socket is driven onto the lug, it will be easy to remove.

The only problem, seperating the lug from the socket when you are through. I threw them both away, including the three other serurity lugs.

4. cpg

cpg

you can weld a bolt to it

5. NaterGator

NaterGator On Gilligan's Island

Albums:
    Happened to me after my tire shop put my 33" Revos on. I took it back to them and they hammered a 20mm impact socket onto the broken nut and impacted it off. I bought 4 new regular lug nuts and replaced all of mine... there isn't a huge market for stolen cruiser wheels around here :D

6. dace voit

dace voit

Thanks! I couldn't imagine why anyone would want my wheels now, except me! So, off to the parts store...

7. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

take it to a tire shop...they should be able to get them off for you. it should cost more than a few bucks...if anything...

8. goin' deaf

goin' deaf

Wish we would have thought of those solutions. A guy here at work and I both have '97's and both were going to do brake jobs. We both wound up stripping the security nut. We took a die grinder and dremel to cut them down so 17mm sockets fit on them. Once we got them off we put them in a vice and took the angle grinder to make them a little more presentable and fit a little better. Several hours of cussing later we had our wheels off. I guess I like our solution because now if someone wants to heist the big tires (no one's gonna want the rims) we have two different size lug nuts on there (stock and 17 mm). I'm hoping its just enough of a hassle that they give up. Ha.
    :D

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Before you do anything, put the other lug nuts back on and tighten them to spec. This will take much of the load off the security nut. In the future, always remove the security nut first.

-Spike

10. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

I get a real sharp chisel and catch the edge of it. I hit the chisel w/ a hammer and walk it off counterclockwise. I also have a set of sockets from the Snap on tool truck that are threaded on the inside so when you impact the locks off the sockets thread on to the locks.

11. Bruneti

Bruneti

I've had this happen on my wife's car. I ordered a replacement security key and broke the new one too. I got pissed off and took it to a tire shop and had them remove them. I think they charged me five bucks. Most shops have special removal sockets for their impact that will remove the locks. Those that don't will use brute force. Either way works. I got standard lug nut replacements for the locks on my truck from Autozone. They were identical in appearance to the OEM lug nuts.

FWIW, Security nuts are to be removed first and the other lug nuts can be slightly overtightened to take some load off the security nut.

12. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

Step 1: Order 5 new lug nuts from Dan on your next order. (There are more than 1 kind for the 80s)
    Step 2: Remove all security lug nuts & replace with real ones.
    Step 3: Put spare new lug nut in your onboard kit.
    Step 5: Drop 4 security lug nuts & removal key in the trash.

Any thief that is rolling around with a jack & tire iron to steal your wheels is going to have a tapered socket for the express purpose of pulling your 'security' lugs. Or, alternatively, they'll just break a window and pull it out of your glove box.

13. stevezero

stevezero SILVER Star

3/4 inch sockets (craftsman are free replacement when you split them). 7lb sledge hammer, some heat (small propane torch), and a lotta profanity.

At least you had the luxury of this happening in your driveway, and not on the side of a desolate 2 lane road at 430AM 15 miles from home........

14. crowt

crowt

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Didn't know what to do. Tire was flat but would hold air for an hour or two. Drove it to the nearest Toyota dealer, they chisiled the broken lug off and fixed the flat for $20. I had them remove the other three security lugs and replaced all 4 with non-security lugs.