securing the cargo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could anyone who does massively packed tripped in their pig throw some ideas out on how the rear cargo area had everything secured? We are dooing a week long wheeling trip in the 55 and am concerned about an entire cruiser packed with stuff falling on my head in case of an accident. I'm thinking maybe an interior cargo net?

snailwagon said:
Could anyone who does massively packed tripped in their pig throw some ideas out on how the rear cargo area had everything secured? We are dooing a week long wheeling trip in the 55 and am concerned about an entire cruiser packed with stuff falling on my head in case of an accident. I'm thinking maybe an interior cargo net?

Great, I was just searching on the same topic!

I was thinking of some bolt-on anchor points located here and there, but I'm having a hard time finding what I'm thinking of...

I have a bunch of these in our parts boneyard at work: CHrome, stout, and with backing plates! Hmmmm...
DSC00633.JPG

Last edited:
I ran eye bolts in the floor behind the wheel wells. Three on each side. Big fender washers on either side.

I don't wheel without my stuff being strapped down. Getting conked with a high lift is not on my list of things I want to do.

i was surprised the 55 didn't have ANY tie down locations in the back

I some times use one of those roof top Tully type cargo bags and just put it in the back. it is easy to secure one big thing instead of 99 Little things

calico kid said:
I some times use one of those roof top Tully type cargo bags and just put it in the back. it is easy to secure one big thing instead of 99 Little things

Not a bad idea, I was considering one large container ratcheted down for most stuff, but there are too many things for me to strap everything down. I will probably do something similar for my spare parts and camping gear. My hi-lift is always secured with a mount, as is my spare tire. My tool chest is so damn heavy that I always keep it seatbelted in

For the hi-lift, when I had bench seats there was enough room under the front seat for a 48" hi-lift, barely. I had a stud going through the floor with a wing nut. It was very secure. Now it is mounted under the rear cargo window with one of those hi lift racks.

I have two eyelets in the very back already. I think the PO pulled the brake lights and mounted them behind there.

i went the cheap route and got a handfull of rear cargo securing thingies from a mitsubishi montero at the junk yard for free, isuzu trooper has the same thing. they bolt in with one bolt and fold up/down. i have 6 in the back floor and a couple on each side. i usually put most things in those plastic crates with the folding/interlocking lids. it works great with ratchet straps, and elctrical wire pulling flat rope is the cats meow. i also have a cargo net, not bungy type, that i can throw over the whole mess if need be, it has little (eyes) all over it for easy securing. military style.
i have a 60" hi-lift mounted across the rig right behind the rear seat, i made stud mounts that are attached to the rear seat "pillars". this does a couple thing for me, it gives a nice little secure cubby of space behind the seat for water jugs or similar sized items, and it devides the front/rear cargo area when i have the seat down.

How about knocking up a cargo barrier out of RHS or angle and weld on some mesh, bolt it in somewhere (seatbelt holes on the pillars??)
Mine had a homemade job like what i just described when i first bough it but i took it out and it will be replaced with something of better quality oneday i.e. made by me and not just some backyard knock together :D
It was mounted just behind the rear seat and filled the gap between there and the roof. unfortunately i don't have a pic of it as it was the first thing i removed when i got it home.
I'm not sure if this is what your after but perhaps you could oneday build a rear storage area, drawers, fridge slide etc.
Dan

Wayneraintree said:
Rhino, can you post pics of your highlift jack mount and location?

x2!

sure i'll go take one, but to hold you over its just goes across of the back seat latch holder pillar thingy to the other one.

here ya go, nuttin fancy but it works

Last edited:
I like it. Simple and effective. When I flopped in the pig the rubbermaid offroad box slid forward under the straps. The straps kept it from going airborn, but it slid forward until it hit the backs of the seats and then spilled. That jack mount would prevent that.

RHINO said:
sure i'll go take one, but to hold you over its just goes across of the back seat latch holder pillar thingy to the other one.

here ya go, nuttin fancy but it works

Crap, now I need a 60"!

:flipoff2:

Thread ressurection:

After pondering for, well, a year... I've come up with a storage box, and some anchor points for the cargo area of my Piggie. The problem with finding places to bolt anchors is the gas tank that spans much of the underside, but I managed to put in a few, for the box as well as my Fridge, thanks to the fact that I have Very Small Hands! The other thing I did was attach some eye bolts to the sides, by way of the cargo panel holes, using some U-nut thingies. They work pretty good.

For the drawer, I wanted something that was secure yet easily removable, preferably without tools. The turnbuckles and carabiner things work out well for that. The eye bolts can also be used to tie down the stuff I load on top of the box.

I'll deal with the cosmetics and carpet later...
Drawerposer6.JPG
Drawerposer7.JPG
Lashpoint2.JPG

Couple more of the eye bolts and U-nuts...
Lashpoint3.JPG
Pigposer1.JPG

Nice!!

Howdy! I use a lockable oversized tool box that has a floor mounting system. It has two handles on the inside that go down thru the box and latch into a bracket that is bolted into the floor. I placed it right up against the back of the rear seat. It has worked great over 10 years, but unfortunately, I tend to carry more junk than can fit in the box. My bad. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom