Securing a winch--Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How are folks securing their winch? My PO had locking lug nuts, but it requires a serious stack of washers on my set up (old Warn). I've seen some tack weld the nut/bolt, a Tuffy lock on the nut ($31), and the welding of a cover over the top of the nut. Any other ideas?

How many more options do you need?

I just welded a pipe cap over the bolt head and welded the bumper to the frame. Nothing will keep someone from stealing something they really want to steal, but you can slow them down. Having an old looking winch helps a lot too.

sad when you have to put so much time an effort into something to ensure that it doesn't walk away from you...

but like most have said welding something over the nuts and tack welds do help...
do post pics of what you come up with....
i am going to be doing this soon as well..

but up here they usually steal the whole rig and flip it over out in the bush and then steal everything that they can get... flipping it over makes it easier to steal the tires... and sometimes they even go as far as torching the car...

Have seen guys use a security torx head bolt that takes a special tool to drive it. A regular torx won't fit. And then they tack the nuts on the backside.

If you have a hawse fairlead, you can hammer in freeze plugs over the bolt heads. My 8274 was installed this way, so I replaced them when I rebuilt the winch. Removing the bolts now requires drilling and hammering out the freeze plugs.

Maybe you could tack weld freeze plugs over the bolts on a roller fairlead??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom