Sector Shaft Paranoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Well, a while back I posted about my steering wheel being off-center after some light to medium wheeling.
Some replies regarding the possible twisting of the sector shaft have concerned me.
I was crawling around under the vehicle last night getting things loosened up for new oxygen sensors and new tierod and drag link from Budbuilt (very beefy units).
I thought I might pop the pitman arm off to see if the splines are twisted but word has it that it can be hard to tell.
Christo Slee told me that it usually would take a really good hit to twist that thing but I am still fearful.
Any ideas on an easy way to tell?
That thing snapping at 60mph really freaks me out.
Thanks for any help! :beer:

SOCALFJ said:
What tire size are you running???

It would take a lot to shear or bend a sector shaft without slamming into a curb at 50mph or running a huge tire.

Tires are 315, basically a 33.

2.5" OME lift.

Steering wheel was perfectly straight until I took it over Slick Rock trail in the Sierras.

Got high centered on a boulder and rocked back and forth a bit, hooking up the front and rear a couple of times but nothing too hectic. More so dragging my new sliders...guess that is why I bought them.:D

Definitly not hitting anything at 50 or even 20. Went the rest of the way over the trail with no problem and when on the highway, it tracks great but the wheel was cocked to the right about 1.5 - 2".

Have you checked your rear lower control arms? If one is bent (badly, I'd assume), the truck would track sideways and the steering wheel would have to move to compensate. I assume your tie rod and drag link are straight, no bends or curves?

-Spike

-Spike- said:
Have you checked your rear lower control arms? If one is bent (badly, I'd assume), the truck would track sideways and the steering wheel would have to move to compensate. I assume your tie rod and drag link are straight, no bends or curves?

-Spike

Actually, did have a bent rear control arm on the PS but that was replaced within days and did not affect the position of the steering wheel.

I have checked the tierod and drag link. Both appear normal and straight but I guess it does not take much. I will put on the new Budbuilt stuff and then that will eliminate that from the equation.

I sprayed the pitman arm and sector shaft with some Blaster and will tap them apart to see what I can see.

Someone mentioned n alignment mark, any pics of this?

Thanks again for all of the input.

SOCALFJ said:
Yeah thats a bit far.... check your tie-rod, drag link..like spike said.. see if they're bent. You didnt smack a wheel on a rock or something? I still doubt your sector shaft is damaged.

No, did not smack it on a rock that I know of other than typical sliding and bumping that occurs when you are on the rocks.
Kinda hard to tell but no big bangs or anything like that.
It may be less than two inches, I am only guessing as I don't have the vehicle at my office with me. Seems like alot when you are sitting there but I might be exagerating a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom