Sector / Pitman Pics...What is your read? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Here are some pics of my Sector shaft and the pitman arm alignment.
If you notice, one side of the shaft looks a tiny bit crooked but the other looks perfect. What do you make of this?
Also, the line up mark on the bottom of the shaft looks fairly straight with the frame.
Any input on this?
Are all steering boxes this crusty looking? Mine is a Silicon Valley vechicle it's whole life so I can't understand the crusty box.:D
Sector Small1.jpg
Sector Small2.jpg
Sector Small3.jpg

Take it somewhere that can X-ray metal, like maybe a welding school or something like that. That first pic looks scary.

-Spike

I see more rust than I would expect form a vehicle in that climate. Are the spline photos from opposite sides?

cruiserdan said:
I see more rust than I would expect form a vehicle in that climate. Are the spline photos from opposite sides?

The only thing I can think of with the rust is going up to Tahoe. They salt the road on occasion up there and it is a very popular spot for the bay area. There is not much else on the rig that is really rusty.
Tail pipe is a little rusty, no body rust though.

Yes, two different sides of the shaft. That is what is odd to me.
The bottom pic looks perfectly straight and the other is just a bit off at the line. The part that is off a bit is not even half of the total area.
Could that have been a production deal?

Also, Dan, are the sector shafts the same from '91 through '97?

Last edited:
IIRC the 91-97 sector shafts are the same. I would have to check the catalog tomorrow to confirm.

Kinda weird. One side looks twisted one not. However I can not see how that can happen. Also if the one side is straight then the pitman arms should not have moved and that would not be the cause if your steering being off.

Possibly a slight machining flaw from the factory? or whoever machined the shaft in the first place??

As christo mentions it is physically impossible to twist 1/2 of it.

:confused:

Interesting, Looks straight to me up to where the pitman arm stops. You can see the line where it doesnt slide up any further. Passed that it looks a bit off on the first pic above the grip line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom