Secondary Air System Disaster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mods - I am posting this here because the post is related to an issue common to the 120 and 100 and I could use insight from folks dealing with this issue on the 100.

Does anyone have any insight in how I might be able to lean on Lexus to cover the repair cost of this pump/valve emissions system on a 06 GX470 with 83k miles? The quoted price from Lexus is $4k.

Toyota has twice extended the warranty on this issue now to 10 years/150k miles on the Tundra, but apparently refuses to cover the repair on 4.7L 4runner, GX470, LX470, and Land Cruiser. I have done a lot of research on this board and others, and I have found lots of info discussing this especially expensive repair, as well as the ~$300 workaround module. I would like to exhaust all efforts before considering the workaround and have not been able to find any insight or other accounts of people having success with warranty coverage of this issue on a 100 or 120.

Thanks in advance.

Mods - I am posting this here because the post is related to an issue common to the 120 and 100 and I could use insight from folks dealing with this issue on the 100.

Does anyone have any insight in how I might be able to lean on Lexus to cover the repair cost of this pump/valve emissions system on a 06 GX470 with 83k miles? The quoted price from Lexus is $4k.

Toyota has twice extended the warranty on this issue now to 10 years/150k miles on the Tundra, but apparently refuses to cover the repair on 4.7L 4runner, GX470, LX470, and Land Cruiser. I have done a lot of research on this board and others, and I have found lots of info discussing this especially expensive repair, as well as the ~$300 workaround module. I would like to exhaust all efforts before considering the workaround and have not been able to find any insight or other accounts of people having success with warranty coverage of this issue on a 100 or 120.

Thanks in advance.

If you could gather 4 other people who had the same problem as you do then you can start a class action lawsuit to give pressure to Toyota for damages.

I'm planning on a similar suit for the brake booster also. The single brake booster and master cylinder design is terrible for the size and purpose of the 100.

Good luck!

Gary

Have you called 1-800-25-LEXUS yet? Is it the air injection pump? When I worked at Lexus, we did a few of these on GX, never on a LX. Is it having an active problem or just noisy? I would think this would be an emission component which is covered by 8yr/80,000 mile warranty, would put you just outside coverage.

If it is in fact a 8yr/80,000 mile part, I would first ask your dealer for help. If they won't help, call Lexus and tell them you are just outside of coverage and you have had multiple Toyota products and you are aware this is a known issue. They don't have to help you out, but doesn't hurt to ask, they may cover all, some, or none of the repair. Word of advice, if things haven't changed since I was there... If they offer you 50/50, that wold be 50% of the WARRANTY price, not retail.... So maybe less than $2k

Another reason I'm not a GX fan.

Thanks for the info. Nobody has torn into the system yet, but it appears that the pumps or valves failed while my wife and 2 year old son were cruising down the highway. The car went into 'limp' mode which kills almost all power to the engine and throws all the dash lights. They managed to get off the highway and limp to the dealer without getting rear-ended.

I have a scanner and the Codes that are popping up are related to the valves being stuck open, which means the pumps may or may not be shot. Lexus is recommending replacement of everything for $4k.

The item is not covered by the 8year/80k emissions warranty on major emissions parts, not that this would necessarily help me anyway. Thanks for the insight - I have an open matter with Lexus Cust Service.

Thanks for the info. Nobody has torn into the system yet, but it appears that the pumps or valves failed while my wife and 2 year old son were cruising down the highway. The car went into 'limp' mode which kills almost all power to the engine and throws all the dash lights. They managed to get off the highway and limp to the dealer without getting rear-ended.

I have a scanner and the Codes that are popping up are related to the valves being stuck open, which means the pumps may or may not be shot. Lexus is recommending replacement of everything for $4k.

The item is not covered by the 8year/80k emissions warranty on major emissions parts, not that this would necessarily help me anyway. Thanks for the insight - I have an open matter with Lexus Cust Service.
Hey there, I am new to the forum. I have the same issue you had on my 2007 LX470. Check engine code P1442 Secondary air injection system valve stuck. Any repair advise you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hey there, I am new to the forum. I have the same issue you had on my 2007 LX470. Check engine code P1442 Secondary air injection system valve stuck. Any repair advise you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.

There is a company called Hewitt Tech that makes a solution for this. Here is the Mud thread for the solution.

Buy the bypass and be done. If you fix it, it will break again anyway. It's not that big a deal.

I went ahead and fixed this since it was my wife’s car and I didn’t know much about it the issue. Lexus paid for some of the repair but it’s was still a ton of money. For my landcruiser, I put the block off kit on myself preemptively several years ago and had no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom