Second Rear Heater? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone think of putting a second rear heater under the drivers seat? it that a bad idea? seems like it wouldnt be that bad to do, easy enough to find parts and there is room.
Yes, no? doesnt need it?

Nicholas

Thought about it, but where do you put your tool bag then? Think it should go in parallel to the passenger one, not series. Also, might want to put a relay in the fan circuit as the switch might not be able to handle the draw of 2 fans.

Tinker said:
Thought about it, but where do you put your tool bag then? Think it should go in parallel to the passenger one, not series. Also, might want to put a relay in the fan circuit as the switch might not be able to handle the draw of 2 fans.

You're right, parallel would be the way to go. Just add Y connections to the stock heater's hoses and route new ones to the added heater. Series would only work if both heaters are on, and even then only as much as the lowest set heater.

I second the idea of adding a relay to the fan circuit. Do it similar to the way Wayne Tangen designed the FJ62 headlight harness. Switch controls a relay, relay draws power (fused of course) directly from the battery.

I'm not familiar with the 60's rear heater, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work, with the exception of a few caveats on the installation.

you must have one of them old fj60.......the newer ones have the tool kit in the rear 1/4 panel. ;)

Tinker said:

If the dash heater and the one under the pass seat are working properly, you shouldn't need a third. I'll bet your heater cores are plugged up. Anyhow if you tried to put a heater under the drivers seat, the inlet/outlet pipes would be sticking down through the floor into the cat - way to hot down there for heater hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom