Second Opinion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother just sent me a link to an eBay listing for a 1974 FJ40 Land Cruiser. Our best friend's dad had one growing up, and we've both talked about getting one since we were kids. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way, and it's pretty close to where I live. Before I take the time to go check it out in person, the seller posted some pretty detailed videos of it showing its condition. The links to the vdieos are in the listing. From all of my research oogling craigslist ads and ebay ads it looks pretty clean, and the fact that it seems to run pretty well, is mostly stock, and isn't missing too many parts according to the seller seems like a pretty good deal considering how many are missing tops and have odd engines in them with suspect workmanship. I was wondering if I could get a second opinion from someone who has a better idea what they're looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974...8041509?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232e2524a5

if it's close to you, why don't you have a look in person ?

If he thinks that is 99% rust free, he needs to to back to school and learn a little more math. I see lots of rust, rust holes, and the rear sill has 100% rusted away. That is a $1,500 cruiser, it will need a lot, I mean a lot of body work. These rust from the backside to the front so if you see rust on the outside the backside of that metal is going to have major rust, and some of that metal is already gone.

The floor boards under those mats have lots of rust holes already through the metal also. fenders are rusted all the way through, wheel wells have hole rusted through. One good thing is he is not hiding anything about the vehicle, the videos show it all.

Last edited:
Just looked at the video after sending you a PM. I would run at that price and the amount of rust. I had a 3spd F engine with no power steering before swapping in a 2F, 4spd, and power steering. For comfort and daily driving/semi-daily driving a 4spd with power steering is nice. He forgot to mention that the reverse light is missing.

I dont want to schedule an appointment to go look at it because time is tight and I'm not completely sure I know enough that it would do a lot of good.

I've been keeping an eye out on cruisers that come up for sale for quite a while, and I know for sure this one is worth more than $1500 around here. $1500 dont buy much. Maybe I need to be looking in Florida.

I used to have an old Chevy pickup with a 3-speed and no power steering, and I thought it was the best truck I ever had. I really liked the way the steering was compared to the little crap can that replaced it... Maybe its just happy memories. The body rust is definitely a concern, but at least there's no mystery rust under diamond plate or slick looking paint that will bubble up in a few months...

I dont know. Maybe I'll go check it out and bring my mechanic friend.

I think you can find way better, particularly for $10,500. Mine is no masterpiece, feel free to check out the "clustertruck" thread for the gory details...but I bought it on the east coast (Annapolis, MD), and not nearly that far gone, for something like $3700.

Granted, mine has the "odd engine" and some questionable workmanship as you referred to, which I've been contending with, but the body was solid and that was all I really cared about.

I'm not saying this isn't a decent start to a project, but I am saying he is asking way, way too much $$$ for it. With rust and filler to contend with, I wouldn't pay half that. I think with some additional looking around you'd find your money better spent elsewhere.

yea, i think it's too much $$$. yea he's done a few things mechanically, but with the rust I see you'll be spending $$ to fix that. Been there, doing that. You have to ask yourself how much am you're willing to invest to fix it up and what'it will be worth when you're done. Love my 76 but you're going to put some dough into it. Love vs. $$$

for that much money I would find something else to love, even if just looking at ebay there are a lot better options out there. Shipping is not that big of a deal when looking for something in that price rage.

That 40 is on the classifieds on mud iirc

there were several in this area for around seven thou in way better shape than that .dont know what happened to them but i dont think they ever sold all were on craigs list take your time and keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom