Second gear issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
My 87 fj-60 has 237,000 miles on the odo. At about 125,000 miles, the orig owner had the trans rebuilt ( I don't know why) at a cost of about $2000. It seems that most parts in the trans were replaced.
Well as of recently, I have noticed that sometimes when you shift into second gear it grabs, and almost grinds itself into second. But again it only does this sometimes, other times it goes into second in a normal fashion.
I am not sure if the transfer case is pumping oil into the trans, but I think it might be. Could that be a cause of the above noted problem? How good are the used transmission at Cruiserparts.net?

Thanks,
Zack

Tha oil can u use in your tranny is the same, that can you use in your transfer case. And the seal btw transfer and tranny be a problen when your oil ( all ) comes to your transfer ( low position ) getting dry the tranny ..

So does the oil go into the trans or transfer case, when the seal goes bad?

Zack

MAF has a kit to compensate for a failed seal between the tranny and transfer. $50 and easy install.

Another think to check is that your clutch is adjusted correctly. This might affect how the tranny goes into gear. (Only a small chance this is the problem, but it's free to check and adjust.)

Redline Gear Oil is reputed to be the best for high milage tranny's. Supposedly especially good for syncro's.

Zack1978 said:
Hey everyone,
I have noticed that sometimes when you shift into second gear it grabs, and almost grinds itself into second. But again it only does this sometimes, other times it goes into second in a normal fashion.

The most likely cause of the grinding is wear on the second gear synchro ring because of downshifting to go around corners. This is annoying, but not particularly critical. You can drive a lot more miles with it doing this as long as it is not popping out of gear. If it only grinds downshifting, learn how to double clutch it.

No, it is not related to a leaking seal issue.

Zack1978 said:
So does the oil go into the trans or transfer case, when the seal goes bad?

Zack

Usually the oil passes uphill from the t/case to the transmission and there is a equalising hose available that will keep them level.
The oil can migrate the other way and I dont think the hose will work in that situation.

The easiest fix to try and cure your grinding synchros is an oil change.

I don't think it's a big deal either.

You might notice it happens more often when the gearbox is cold, clearing up as it gets warmer. Colder thicker the oil slows down the sychros.

Try adjusting to it. PH mentioned double clutching, try shifting at a lower rpm, or drive it in second gear for a while in the morning to heat up the gear oil.

Synthetic oil might help some too.

jwest said:
Try adjusting to it. PH mentioned double clutching, try shifting at a lower rpm, or drive it in second gear for a while in the morning to heat up the gear oil.

The best option for me .. let chance to the tranny, get some degrees, up to better lubrication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom