Second Fuel Tank Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little while back I approached Troy Hoffer of Superior 4Wheel Drive about a second gas tank modification. He spent considerable amount of time researching the request and came up with a phenomenal solution.

The DOT approved tank is fitted in the big space under the cargo area, next to the exhaust. The filler neck is accessed through a mini door in the bumper and there is a fuel pump that is manually operated to transfer fuel into the main tank upon demand.

A second fuel gauge indicates the fuel level in the aux. tank and an aluminum skid plate spreads the load in the event of impact. Total capacity is 19 gallons, doubling the range!
(FJ Mods) - Gas Tank Overview.jpg

Is this available to the market or one off. Contact and price info?

It is not a one off. Troy at Superior 4Wheel Drive will set you if you call him at (408) 448-8585.

He used my truck to come up with the design and I had a lot of other mods done by him at the same time. He requested that interested parties contact him for pricing information.

How much fuel does it hold?

That is awesome!!! I would be concerned with coming down on that hard on a trail though, i would probably go with a smaller one on my rig, but none the less that is one impressive modification!!!!

That is awesome!!! I would be concerned with coming down on that hard on a trail though, i would probably go with a smaller one on my rig, but none the less that is one impressive modification!!!!

Yep, that is my biggest concern - hence the skid plate that will protect it somewhat. You like to wheel your FJ hard, judging by your posts! :beer:

I'm more looking at setting up a long distance expedition rig that a rockcrawler, hence the need for a long range fuel tank.

what about the charcoal cannister right where the tank is?I would hate to smash the tank coming down hard and burst the platic black box because you would walking or towing the fj in.Can a ten gallon be put there with a steel skid?:bounce:

what about the charcoal cannister right where the tank is?I would hate to smash the tank coming down hard and burst the platic black box because you would walking or towing the fj in.Can a ten gallon be put there with a steel skid?:bounce:

Troy relocated the charcoal cannister, I forgot where to. I haven't had the chance to get the car on a lift or jack stands to fully inspect all aspects of the mod...

well that was a quick answer what was the pric for this? Just being nosey i would like to do this but expedition in arizona does require some navagtion of rocks to check of some of the old ruins around where i live and also what trailbus said could he due a ten gallon one and have it up more?Thank you for your help I would think that trailbus runs about same kind of trails in arizona off camber some rocks and ledge to get to nice cool awsome place.

Thanks again for your help

well that was a quick answer what was the pric for this? Just being nosey i would like to do this but expedition in arizona does require some navagtion of rocks to check of some of the old ruins around where i live and also what trailbus said could he due a ten gallon one and have it up more?Thank you for your help I would think that trailbus runs about same kind of trails in arizona off camber some rocks and ledge to get to nice cool awsome place.

Thanks again for your help

Going with a smaller tank will get it up more, however, I think the gating factor on departure angle is still the trailer hitch. Its hard to tell from the picture but it protrudes very little under the bumper. Unless you looked very carefully you wouldn't even notice it.

Whoo Hoo! Finally...and this will do away with any need for Jerry cans...

yes but hi due not have a hitch and i have a highclearance bumper. I was hoping that a 12 or 10 would fit up there with less over hang so when coming down of that ledge or rock you due not wack it.

This is the best mod yet thanks for being the first hopefully we will have more with this soon.:beer:

Great mod...I have been waiting for something exactly like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom