Second Class Citizens - The UnLocked 80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like many on the boards own an unlocked 80 Series and while I would much rather have had the vehicle originally equipped with them, I question just how much more capable a locked vehicle would be. Let me rephrase that: How capable is a non-locked 80 compared to a locked 80? All things equal (driver skill, tires, suspension) can you get through, let's say, 75%, 85%, 90% etc, of the same terrain okay sans lockers?

All depends on the terrain you are taking on...for me it has been 100%...I have taken mine everywere I have wanted...unlocked.

You might want to look at trail ratings (3, 4, 4+ ect.) Most specify if lockers are needed. At this point with my 80 being my DD I don't push it.

I wheeled my 80 with and without lockers. And there is a big difference. Lockers are a big improvement. But with lockers you try harder and harder trails until you roll like I did. Then you have to scale back a little. So it can get you in trouble. I'd say if I didn't have lockers I would of never tried the obstacle that rolled me. So be warned!

was just mentioning the "add a locker game" in
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=66571

As far as what you can do without lockers, you got to find out yourself with your particular set of skills and tolerance for fear.
The comfort factor is nice. I did a trail this weekend that had steep dirt and loose rock slopes with dropoffs on both sides at time. Bogging down half way up and having to go backwards sure would have been scary. I sure was glad to have the lockers just in case and in fact engaged the rear one a couple of times on the steepest ones. Now of course maybe I'm spoiled and am using the lockers as a crutch for lack of better driver skills, but I would have been hesitant to try some of the slopes without lockers. Huge piece of mind when you just need the edge. Of course, even with lockers, there would be slopes I would not try, but I'm pretty sure from my limited experience that I can do much more with lockers.
So with or without you can do a lot, and find challenging stuff, and be happy. With, you can do more, evidently.

Makes a world of difference. Going from an unlocked to locked 80 I have seen a whole other world of offroading. If I ever buy another 80, lockers will be mandatory.

Lockers can save wear and tare the truck by allowing slow progress in low traction situations, without them more momentum, speed would be required.

CruisinGA said:
It is like the difference between 4wd and 2wd...

Not as huge of a diffrence as that, after all an unlocked 80 can still hold its own with a locked 80 most of the time.

Biff said:
Not as huge of a diffrence as that, after all an unlocked 80 can still hold its own with a locked 80 most of the time.

No, it's exactly that, unlocked is 2wd, loose traction on one tire on each axle and your done. :D

Tools R Us said:
No, it's exactly that, unlocked is 2wd, loose traction on one tire on each axle and your done. :D

True, didn't think of that. Because an unlocked 80 is a true 2wd rig, a locked 80 is a real 4wd rig. Now a 2wd rig, is actually a 1wd rig. I stand correct.

e9999 said:
I did a trail this weekend that had steep dirt and loose rock slopes with dropoffs on both sides at time. Bogging down half way up and having to go backwards sure would have been scary. I sure was glad to have the lockers just in case and in fact engaged the rear one a couple of times on the steepest ones. Now of course maybe I'm spoiled and am using the lockers as a crutch for lack of better driver skills, but I would have been hesitant to try some of the slopes without lockers. Huge piece of mind when you just need the edge. Of course, even with lockers, there would be slopes I would not try, but I'm pretty sure from my limited experience that I can do much more with lockers.

didn't even have my cdl on Los Chichas :flipoff2:

FirstToy said:
didn't even have my cdl on Los Chichas :flipoff2:

left it at home, eh? :)

and what exactly was accomplished by not using it if that's what you meant?

It just depends on what type of wheeling you want to do.

Also as previously stated by alot of smarter people than me the real key is seat time.

No lockers here but half the fun is having a go anyway . Money talks and bulls--t walks.

CruisinGA said:
It is like the difference between 4wd and 2wd...

literally.

Wheel it until you've found the limits. Then go get a rear ARB. Again, wheel it until you've found the limits - it will take a long time. Then go get a front.

Terrain makes a difference as well. There are certain situations where I fair better without using anything but the CDL.

Difflocks were never offered with locally sold LC80's.

I agree with the guys here, try to wheel without lockers first. Then move up as the need arises.

Half the fun is getting there. :)

e9999 said:
left it at home, eh? :)

and what exactly was accomplished by not using it if that's what you meant?

No lockers needed on that trail e9999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom