For Sale Seattle/Whidbey Island-1986 HJ61 RHD. Price $26,600. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seeing if there might be any interest in my vehicle. Thinking about selling my 86 HJ61 RHD 12HT auto trans. Vehicle underwent full off-frame restoration in 2005 in Australia. Has some wear since then but not bad, and no rust. It’s my daily driver. More pictures to come when I get back home. One picture with the smudge mark on it is me covering up my son in the pic. Not sure about price yet.

Rules are that you state a price.

Uh.....yes there is interest on a land cruiser enthusiast forum. Now, post more pictures, maintenance info, before and after restoration photos if available and a PRICE.

I'll paste some of the restoration documents later once I get them scanned and uploaded. Note that this vehicle is my daily driver so random stuff might be in the pictures and is not yet picture clean for advertising. Anyone interested message me privately.

I just uploaded some restoration documents to the dropbox - titled "Australia_Restoration." You can see that the vehicle use to be painted white and was repainted to a dark red. All of the full engine rebuild and off-road accessories invoices are in the .pdf as well. The off-road accessories came around 2014.

What's the price?

Has your auto transmission issues listed in your past threads been fixed? It is very helpful to buyers if you can share the “good” and the “not so good” items so that buyers can get an idea of what they are investing in.

Yes I plan on doing that tomorrow. And yes it’s been fixed, just required adjustment to accelerator cable. Keep the questions coming.

Last edited:
Pros:
New battery
New refrigerant (vehicle has been upgraded from R12 to R134a)
New rotors
New starter
New starter switch
New starter relay
New brake pads (can't remember if I replaced the brake shoes)
New tie rod end and steering damper
Entire vehicle frame covered in RP-342 Cosmoline once a year (RP-342 "HEAVY" Military-Grade Rust Preventive Spray)
Internal frame wax sprayed inside frame ~2015
New side mirrors (the good Euro style that don't vibrate)
New LED tail and running lights
All fluids replaced ahead of schedule.
Transmission is smooth shifting (I had an issue once, but it was only because the accelerator cable came loose, easy fix)
Engine rebuild done in 2005/2006 was done by a professional shop. See dropbox documents.

Cons:
- A few small, rust bubbles under the paint on the body, I've kept a bay through lots of waxing.
- Small spots of clear coat coming up in one area on the hood.
- Tachometer is not functional - digital one installed plus a boost gauge.
- Interior has some wear, small cracks on dash, a hole or two in seats, but otherwise not too bad.
- Oil drip about two drops per day and has never gotten worse.
- Starting system is probably the only one annoyance. Often the vehicle does not want to start after it was shut down while hot (say after an hour driving on highway in summer heat). After about 10 min of cool down it will then start right back up. I think maybe the heat from the engine increases resistance on the starter - only my theory though. It seems to have been a problem for other HJ owners for the 12V models (which is also this vehicle) based on my research. Never been stranded ever though, and it may just need a heat shield.
- The last issue just started about 3 weeks ago. About one in every 10 starts will end in a "click" of the starter solenoid. New battery less than a month old ameliorated it, but then it crept back. So possibly the starter is starting to wear out, or it may just need the terminals clean or cover tapped on to break free the carbon. It hasn't been a big issue for me because the vehicle always starts, and there is only a few components in the starting system. But if this is a concern for you I can purchase a new starter for the vehicle to go with it.

Otherwise that should be it. It is a great vehicle and I only have to sell it because we have another baby on the way. One day when I am old and retired I will be looking to buy myself another one, if not the same one again ;)

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom