Seattle Area Crusiers - timing belt replacement shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seattle Area Crusiers:

(over)Time for me to do the timing belt and water pump (92K miles). Dealer (Toyota of Kirkland) charges $1,050 for the works (belt + waterpump).

If going to an indpendant - reputable - shop, who do you recommend?

I have quotes that go down to just over $500 for same job (+parts) but not sure I am willing to gamble (and currently do not have time to do this myself) on this pretty important job (knowing that our neighborhood otherwise very reputable shop rarely/ever works on Cruisers).

Thanks Cory,
Good input. Yes, it is parts and labor (+an additional $50 for the serpentine belt).

Just seen some posts where dealer's done it for some ~$600, but I guess they are a few years old by now. And, in general, the Seattle area is more expensive... On top of that, even if it sucks, maybe $400 is a cheap "peace of mind", sort of...

/// Per-Ola

My local dealer wanted that just for the t-belt. Water pump was cost of the part ($200) plus another hour ($105).

Someone posted that their local dealer did an "any vehicle" timing belt coupon recently, like $500 or so. Every time I try to use a coupon on the LC, they're exluded. Like oil changes for $20. When it's 9 quarts of oil, they won't do it.

I bought my 2000 LC from Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton. I requested them to replace serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump and oil seal before I'd buy the vehicle. They were going to charge me around $450 for all of these on the top of the agreed purchase price. When I was ready to pick up the truck, I've found out that the oil seal was not replaced. I've made a pretty bad stink about it and they dropped the purchase price by $500.

Now about the workmanship; a few days later I've found one of the sensor wires was not routed back through its regular location and the serpentine belt cut half way through its insulating jacket. This seems to be a pretty common oversight during timing belt replacement.

Almost a year and a half and about 16 K miles later, I had zero problems with the repair work, so overall I can rate the workmanship, as excellent.

Last edited:
All inputs/comments appreciated. Will likely go with ToK next week, and watch out for the small things and probably take a (n other) picture of the engine bay before...

All that said, I've had very few problems over the 6+ years I've had this rig. Starter contacts replaced (fall 2006) and driver side window (2007, fell down due to a broken plastic bracket). Fixed both myself. I guess it is not too bad of a track record. Timing belt is really not "an issue", just regular - and anticipated - maintenance. Just looking for inputs/best quality/price.

/// Per-Ola

For those interested, here are some fresh photos of Timing Belt and Serpentine belt at 92K miles (replacing both + pump this week to the tune of some $1,100).

Timing belt "looks" OK, but notice a lot of "rubber dust" inside the pulley and further down the belt shaft. Clear signs of wear in my eyes.

The serpentine belt shows visible cracks as you can see when it "reverses" over the radiator fan pulley.

Enjoy...

/// Per-Ola
Belt Close up (Custom).jpg
Dust close up-2 (Custom).jpg
Cracks (Custom).jpg

I requested a quote from Bobby Rahal Lexus in Harrisburg PA for a Timing belt/Idler bearings and water pump replacement. They came back at $1500, when questioned they indicated it was the 90K service + the idler bearings/water pump.

When I clarified that I just wanted the timing belt/Idler bearings and water pump replaced they came back at $950. Upon clarification they also included a new serpentine belt and all new coolant.

Final bill was actually $905 which I then claimed against my drivers edge credit card who reimbursed me $725 I had built up in credit.

Dennis in Montreal

timing belt replacement shop recommendation - update

Update:
Will likely go with our (trusted) neighborhood mechanic - if he agrees to use Toyota OEM parts (he is only two blocks away from ToK).
He's asking $499 for the "works" - and he was also the only one who suggested to look at the bearings on the tensioner and idler pulley, as well as a few oil seals and gaskets.

The "stealers" in the area ranged from $950 to $1,350. Not one of them included (or even suggested) the bearings or seals in that price. Extra work...

The local guy at least seemed knowledgeable on the work, and took time to actually go through it step by step. He estimated about 4 hrs. Sounds right?

Who knows, maybe he's on Mud? Then he ought to be good...

/// Per-Ola

Timing belt done

Just picked up the car + the replaced parts.

Timing belt (after 92K) looked almost new. Even the mechanic was surprised by its condition. Will post photo later if anyone's interested.
Serpentine belt in bad shape. Lots of cracks.
Water pump looked very "clean" and no play in bearings. As for seal, no idea.
Coolant was overdue (my fault), and the pulleys seem OK with no play, but decided to replace "when in there" anyway.

Mechanic replaced with all Toyota OEM parts and the final bill came out as follow:
Timing Belt: 58.65
Water Pump: 118.20
Engine Cam and Crank Oil Seals: 21.60
Toyota Factory "Red" Coolant: 65.00
Timing Belt Idler Pulley: 67.20
Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley: 75.90
Serpentine Accessory Belt: 42.20
Labor (3.8 hours): 323.00
Hazmat: 19.29
Tax: 71.19
TOTAL: 862.23

At least from a TB perspective, now some piece of mind... (left to deal with is the intermittent TPS/APPS issue).

/// Per-Ola

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a Toyota dealer or independent shop in the Seattle area that you trust with your 100-series? Or maybe just shops to avoid?

I've got a short list of things I want done, starting with new brakes up front and TB and WP replacement.

Thanks!
RJ

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a Toyota dealer or independent shop in the Seattle area that you trust with your 100-series? Or maybe just shops to avoid?

I've got a short list of things I want done, starting with new brakes up front and TB and WP replacement.

Thanks!
RJ

I recently got my 100 about a month ago, and have had the brakes and other misc items fully addressed and impressed by Ishii Motors in Bellevue. Ishii Motor Industries

Owner is a 10+yr toyota mechanic - worked in Japan for a while....really know what he's doing and they have great service and rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom