craigslist Seattle area: 1992 BJ73 with VM motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Italian motor. 5 cyl. Does not have a very good reputation either.

As for the ad, I think the price is a bit high. It is a nice cruiser though. Looks clean. The "intercooler" badge I have never seen before.

VM is an Italian engine manufacturer. Fiat-Chrysler uses their engines for any diesel smaller than a 6BT (minus one Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes diesel in the mid 2000s), and they're largely despised in newer-model Jeeps, from what I've read, but jeep guys have pretty warped perceptions, so take that with a grain of salt.

VM is an Italian engine manufacturer. Fiat-Chrysler uses their engines for any diesel smaller than a 6BT (minus one Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes diesel in the mid 2000s), and they're largely despised in newer-model Jeeps, from what I've read, but jeep guys have pretty warped perceptions, so take that with a grain of salt.

Isn't that what the new Wrangler has in it? Horrible tales in South Africa about those engines.

Isn't that what the new Wrangler has in it? Horrible tales in South Africa about those engines.
I don't remember (or want to look it up, haha) if it's the same VM diesel, but the new wrangler diesel and Ram 1500 diesel are both VM engines, whatever model each is. The old Jeep Liberty also came with largely disliked V6 from VM.

Different VM and as a Jeep Grand Cherokee owner with VM in it I can't say enough good things about ours. Bought it new for the missus and have around 150 k on it now and probably 40k of those is me hauling a trailer with a cruiser on it behind that Jeep. Averaging 28mpg without a trailer and 20 mpg with a trailer and rated to pull 7600LB.

I can see South Africa having issues with it as all the new CRD and common rail diesels have issues there because of the bad fuel they are running

The 70 series however had 2 different VM engines in it and the first model was a total disaster and the second one apparently can be kept alive with some modifications according to some spanish cruiser heads , I would still plan a engine swap though in any of the VM powered cruisers

So the 3.0 EcoDiesel is a VM motor?

The same motor that will be in the 4 door Jeep Wrangler as an $4K option? (Well technically $6K total option since it requires the addition of it's unique $2K transmission from what I understand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom