SOLD Seattle: 1984 white FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Hey folks, I’m selling my 1984 Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser with 180k miles. I bought this in Oct 2019 from an old widow on a hill in San Francisco (where according to CarFax it has lived its whole life), and taken it on camping and adventures throughout California; taken all of my stuff during my big move to Seattle, and taken me all over western Washington. It has taught me to wrench, be patient, and been a faithful friend during COVID-19. Asking $12k.

I have a long build thread with plenty of photos documenting all of the below and more small add-ons and bits; along with an instagram account @carathecruiser.

It was in poor shape when I bought it (didn’t really know what I was getting into), and I’ve spent the last two years taking a live wrenching course reviving it. It blew its piston rings on the original engine in August 2020 with a weak and faulty cooling system, I spent most of 2021 giving it a new(er) 2F engine transplant and then passing California smog (legally, which is not trivial with these old beasts). In total I’ve put on about 9000 miles; 5000 of which since I swapped in the engine and passed California smog over a year ago. It’s been my daily driver at times, and a great camping vehicle. I had it nearly built out to do a cross-country road trip this summer, but ended up getting a great deal on a newer JDM 80-series Land Cruiser with more creature comforts I took instead, and have since fallen in love with. I only have room for one truck here next to my city apartment, so this one has to go. If you’ve been to a Seattle Cruiserheads meeting earlier this year, then you’ve seen the truck.

Top-level details
  • ~180,000 miles on the odometer/chassis (just became aware of potential odometer rollback from CarFax, see later post (For Sale - Seattle: 1984 white FJ60 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/seattle-1984-white-fj60.1297008/#post-14724859)
  • ~150,000 miles on the 2F engine (swapped from another FJ60; reported rebuilt at ~110k miles but no documentation)
  • Original H42 4-speed transmission and transfer case with bypass hose
  • Interior overhauled with seats and panels taken out of a ~60k mile FJ60; new carpets; hand carved rear cargo plywood panels; factory non-AC
  • 33x10.5r15 BFG K02 tires with matching spare
  • Aftermarket period alloy wheels (fun ‘80s vibe)
  • 4Runner wiper arms with used linkage from another FJ60
  • Passed California smog in Aug 2021; since then, smog pump has been replaced with a devaned one (easy to swap back)
  • Aussie 70-series OEM door mirrors installed (nice and big)
  • Registered as a WA collector vehicle, so don’t need to renew registration, get tags, or run a front plate

Major work completed under my ownership (I have essentially zero documentation from before that):
  • 2F engine swap (current engine has about 150k miles on it; 40k after rebuild) in early 2021; with new V-belts, battery, coolant hoses, catalytic converter, muffler, and vacuum lines
  • New clutch, clutch master, clutch slave cylinders, pilot bearing, and clutch hydraulic line installed with engine swap
  • Rebuilt steering knuckles, tie rods, front brakes; new wheel bearings by Mudrak Cruisers in Sonoma, CA (one of the best CA Land Cruiser shops) in July 2020
  • Rear drum brakes rebuilt (new cylinders, new hardware, drums turned) in April 2022
  • New fuel tank installed by Toyota of Kirkland in May 2022 under recall (recall issued in the ‘80s and Toyota still honors it if you play your cards right)
  • Rebuilt OEM alternator by Whatcom Electric in Bellingham in May 2022
  • Interior refresh (new parts, deep clean, new carpet, floor mats, front/rear seatbelts) in early 2020 (it’s quite pretty and period-correct now) with new noise insulation and vapor barriers in the front doors in late 2021. I custom-cut and burned in plywood rear cargo panels that have fun West Coast-inspired designs.
  • New radio, antenna, and four speakers, interior LED illumination, Smittybilt center console
  • Custom-designed 3d printed gauge mount (UV-resistant PETG) with accurate modern coolant temp gauge and manifold pressure gauge
  • Valves adjusted in April 2022
  • Diff oil, transmission/transfer case oil, air filter replaced in Sept 2021. Fuel filter replaced in Sept 2022. New thermostat and gaskets in Sept 2022 to address overcooling issue.

Work needed
  • Paint is generally in poor condition. Peeling clearcoat on hood and roof. The weakest part of the truck.
  • There is rust on some bodywork. The worst is around the windshield; the rest is surface rust. Frame only has some simple surface rust, way better then 100s and 80s I’ve seen here in Seattle.
  • The hood itself is bent, struggles to latch, and rubs on the front cowl.
  • The rear main seal appears to be leaking; I had to add 1-2 qt over the last 2000 miles (between last two oil changes)
  • The suspension sags in the rear. If I was holding onto this truck, a 2” lift would have been next.
  • Wipers work just fine, except… they rest at the top of the windshield, instead of the bottom. I assumed this was an issue with how the new linkage was installed, but haven’t investigated.
  • Rear heater bypassed to simply cooling loop in early 2021

Optional in the sale:
  • I have an old-school Con-ferr roof rack that looks great on this truck, but not good on my new one. In good shape (used it for moving hundreds of pounds from San Francisco up to Seattle earlier this year, you can see it in some pictures); I’ll include it in for $300; otherwise I’m going to try and sell it separately.

I really just want this to go to another motivated, interested owner that will continue enjoying and maintaining the truck (and hopefully will think of me if it ever comes time to sell and I'm in a different life situation ☺️). Or perhaps take it in a different direction… with the clean frame and good powertrain, there’s lots of options for building this out how you want.

Exterior pictures:

IMG_5779.jpeg
IMG_5776.jpeg

IMG_5777.jpeg
IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5781.jpeg

IMG_5808.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_5792.jpeg

IMG_5793.jpeg

IMG_5794.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have some detailed pictures of the rust in windshield area?

I have these two detailed photos that I took last week during a rainstorm that show the areas:

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

Hey folks, I redid the weatherstripping around the driver's window and now the window happily cranks up and down (instead of binding on the weatherstripping). Other windows crank well too.

Dropping the asking price to $12k!

Hey folks, just an update that I received the Carfax for this truck and found out it has been flagged for possibly having an odometer rollback before my purchase.

The Carfax shows that the truck had:
165,719 miles in 05/2009 (smog check)
168,812 miles in 09/2010 (smog check)
168,817 miles in 09/2012 (smog check)
168,999 miles in 10/2012 (smog check)
169,159 miles in 10/2014 (smog check)
217,998 miles in 09/2016 (smog check)
295,102 miles in 10/2018 (smog check)
when I bought it in 10/2019 I note in my build thread it had 172k miles.
173k miles in 07/2020 (took it to Mudrak in Sonoma, CA).

From what I know from the previous owner, I really doubt they put on 124k miles in 4 years (think of the gas bills!) and then had a rollback, after the truck had done 300 miles in the previous 4 years, but I suppose anything is possible. I think the condition of the truck, viewing it as something that had just been sitting for long periods of time, does make sense. The truck came from a widow who had not been using the truck, it was her late husband's.

Happy to share the CarFax with any interested buyers.

Last edited:
is this still for sale? Is the truck located in SF or in Seattle now?

Yes, it’s still for sale. Located in Seattle. Still has all of the California emissions equipment installed, except the smog pump is devaned.

Can you send me the Carfax text or email your preference? Also, I read through most of your sale and build thread but I must have missed it where did you source the recently installed 2F from? Do you have the paperwork on that? Too bad your not still in SF would have loved to come check it out this weekend, I am interested for sure

Hello, yes this is still for sale. Although I’m out of town and can’t show it until the new year. Happy to answer questions over DM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom