Seats in a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey sorry if this is a repost or already been talked about.

I am possibly getting closer to buying my first LC(not 100% sure yet but its possible). The cruiser is in good shape but the seats need replacing or need a seat cover. If i go ahead and buy it seat covers will be the immediate fix but in the long run i want to install some new seats.

I have looked over the FAQ about front seats and see the seats in the vehicles but i couldn't find any really good info on how hard it is to install non stock seating.

I would like some seats like those that are in a 1st gen 4runner or even 2 gen 4runner. How hard would it be to install these into an 81 40. Will it require alot of welding? Drilling? Which seats besides stock cruiser seats, if any, will drop right into existing mounting brackets?

lunyou

I have a non-stock driver seat. Width was an issue as I wanted to keep the front bench and needed a seat narrower than the typical 22". Difficulty in fitting the sliders depends on your specific year; you can either adapt OEM sliders to your seats (which is what I did) or adapt the seat sliders to the mounts.

Cost wise it maybe cheaper to install seats from another car vs rebuilding the stockers. I put some buckets from a 88 740 Volvo in mine. It is almost a direct bolt in. I made new rear brackets from some sq tubing and reused the front brackets on my 73. The Volvo seats are not as wide as the original. When I get a family cage,I will run some bars across from side to side and mount seats to those.

lunyou said:
Which seats besides stock cruiser seats, if any, will drop right into existing mounting brackets?

1997 Dodge Neon seats bolt up after you bend one tab flat in the rear....no biggie.

:beer:

Hi All:

Thanks for the tip on the '97 Neon seats "Poser!"

If you like the style of the stock 40 Series seats, or want to keep things simple consider having them re-built. Find a shop in your area that does custom uphostelery, things like motorcycle seats. They can re-build those worn-out seats for you!

Good luck with your "new" Land Cruiser!

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom