Seatbelts - FJ60 '82 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
H all! I'm the new owner of a beauty 1982 FJ60. Noting it does not have seatbelts in rear seat. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for install kits from reputable online sources. Many thanks!

I don’t know if you need them to pass an inspection, but the FJ60 only had two lap belts for the rear seat. No shoulder restraint.

In a crash that would matter, being restrained by just a lap belt would probably be more damaging to the occupant’s body than nothing at all - I’m supposing.

I don’t know if you need them to pass an inspection, but the FJ60 only had two lap belts for the rear seat. No shoulder restraint.

In a crash that would matter, being restrained by just a lap belt would probably be more damaging to the occupant’s body than nothing at all - I’m supposing.
Interesting. There are no rear seatbelts at all now and it passed inspection without them! This thing in general is going 30-40 mph max so I'm hoping we are not in a crash that would matter. Just looking for suggestions on after-market seatbelts - many thanks all!

have you lifted the rear bottom seat to make sure there are no seatbelts?
there should be a tether in the middle of the seat to release the mechanism to tilt the lower seat forward.
the PO may have lifted the seat and unless the belts are tucked into the pockets they fall under the seat and the seat goes down and no belts are present.
also in 1982 there were just lap belts no 3 point rear seatbelts

Last edited:
Having lap belts would be better than nothing. If someone took them out of yours, there should at least be mounts for them. But flip the seat up like @3_puppies said and see if they're just hiding underneath.

One other thing is that some years of the 60 have a threaded hole for a shoulder belt, hidden by the headliner fabric, on the C Pillar. My '85 does. I guess this was for other non-US markets where shoulder belts were required in back.

Seatbelt Planet sells a kit that gives you the lap and shoulder combination to fit this. It's not retractable in the normal sense - you have to tighten it manually. But if lap belts are better than nothing, then shoulder belts are better than laps. I have them in back for my kids and they are fine if your expectations are in check.

One potential buzz kill - in some 60s, there is a hidden C Pillar hole but it's not threaded. You can figure it out in advance by feeling for the hole with your hand, and then pushing a needle through to sense out the inside of the hole to see if there's threads.

There are kits out there to go full retractable 3-point in back, but it takes some doing to get the retractor mounted inside ahead of the wheel well.

Seatbelt Planet sells a kit that gives you the lap and shoulder combination to fit this. It's not retractable in the normal sense - you have to tighten it manually. But if lap belts are better than nothing, then shoulder belts are better than laps. I have them in back for my kids and they are fine if your expectations are in check.
There is a spring loaded gadget that you can clip on to old school seat belts that don't retract. It rolls up the belt when not in use. A friend of mine used it on his Grand Wagoneer(no Jeep comments). If you can't locate it, let me know and I'll get the details from him.

If you contact Seatbelt Planet you need to ask for Neil Ferguson. He's one of the principal owners and a supporting vendor of our Solid Axle Summit we do every August in CO. I know several folks who have installed a complete system into their 60 and very satisfied. Another option is to find good quality used ones via the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom