Seatbelt retractor problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
87' FJ60 driver side seatbelt retractor doesnt work. The belt is all the way out, but wont go back in. Has anyone got any experience or tricks for fixing these, or am I gonna have to replace it? Ive taken apart my buddys T100 for the same problem, but there was no way to repair it without destroying it. Just wondering if there is any hope before I rip into it. The local fuzz is really pushing the "click it or ticket", and since I always wear it anyway, Id really like it fixed.

Thanks, Hodag

I've had the same problem with two of the seatbelts. My extra siezed up in the retracted position, the one installed seized up in the fully let out position. I was able to maniuplate the one that is currently installed to take some of the slack back in and then was able to lock it up... so now at least it fits. I doubt it will do much good if I am in an accident. But hopefully I won't need it before my replacement gets in sometime next week. After hours of effin with them, I could not come up with a way to fix it. So my advice is just to order another one, better to be safe than impaled on the steering column. I look forward to hearing possible solutions as well.

search the 100 series list, there is a trick that uses a piece of velcro to clean up the retractors, I havnt treid it but it came from a Lexus tech, might even be an aproved Toyota fix

might want to get new ones if you can't fix those up real quick. i got a ticket from the CHP just last week as i was leaving a gas station w/o my belt on. haven't got the cost yet, but i'm sure it'll be more expensive than a used set of seatbelts.

I've got a different problem--my rear seat belts retract on their own. If people sit back there the belts tighten on them (don't ever seem to loosen) and if I don't have any passengers back there the belts keep retracting until they diappear below the cushion. Anyone have any tips?
Thnks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom