Seatbelt Cleaner for dirty/stiff seat belts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Bentley

SILVER Star
Threads
Any recommendation for cleaning dirty (17 years old) and stiff seatbelts as well as maintaining the soft/suppleness of the belt once it is clean or is a "re-belt" the only option?
What did you try or do?

How dirty are yours? If they were really dirty you might want to pull them out all the way and clamp them to lock them in the open position and use laundry detergent and a pressure washer. Mine weren't that dirty so I just used a big bucket with hot water and laundry detergent. I let them sit and agitated it every so often. Just rinse them a few times until the water stays clean and let them fully dry before you let them retract back in.

Used a compressed-air Turbo cleaner with a bucket of laundry detergent. Now that the belts are clean, they retract like they should.

1638446126877.png

Before

1638446212756.png

After

1638446292355.png

Perfect! Thank you all!

I cleaned my seat belts yesterday cause they were dirty and wouldn't retract well. I took the top anchor off and pulled the belts as far out as I could. soaked them in a bucket for about 15 minutes in dish soap then scrubbed then with a brush. Then I soaked them again in laundry soap then rinsed them in clean water. Let them dry overnight. They look nice and clean and soft but the retraction is only slightly better then before. Anything else I can do about that?

Make sure you cleaned the plastic shoulder hanger they loop through. That is also full of 20 years of gunk. After that you can pull off the trim and spray dry silicone on the retraction mechanism to help free it up.

Just did this yesterday! Didn't bother with soap and scrubbing and went straight to pressure washing. Retracts perfectly, soft and isn't nasty looking anymore...though I wonder if it could be cleaner now.

Yes. I cleaned the shoulder hanger. I'll try some silicone spray. Any part specifically I should be trying to spray?

Are you guys removing them from the vehicle or doing this while they are attached? Thank you

Are you guys removing them from the vehicle or doing this while they are attached? Thank you
Many people pull them all the way outside the vehicle and close the door leaving majority of belt outside to work with. Just pressure washing them this way yields good results….ownercs likes to take things to the next level.

How do you like the Turbo cleaner? Have you used it for anything else other than the seat belts?
Carpet. It works well.

1663499925482.png

Yes. I cleaned the shoulder hanger. I'll try some silicone spray. Any part specifically I should be trying to spray?
Each side of the retraction mechanism. And you probably should vacuum or blow out any nasties down there.

Does anyone know if seat belts from non JDM Toyotas will fit in a RHD JDM truck? Specifically asking fot a 1993 Prado. Thank you.

Nope but I do know there are a few companies that replace seatbelt webbing and clean/rebuild the mechanisms for about $100/seatbelt if you want to go that far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom