seat upholstery.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, here's a quick question... can you swap the bottom upholstery from pass to driver side without trouble? i got a new SOR foam bottom for xmas, and my d/s is ripped, thinkin' about just swapping them r-l. thoughts?

For what it's worth, SOR lists both LH and RH bottom covers. But how they differ and what would prevent one from being used on the other, I can't say off the top of my head.

Maybe the cutout of the recliner?

I've swapped the foam before. The OE blocks appear interchangable. What's not is the seat cover. To keep the DS cover on the driver side, I had to undo the hog rings, remove the cover and redo them after the swap. Not a huge PITA but definitely not simple.

I did this swap with no problem - worked fine, and now the more worn seat is for someone else!

M

You can do swap without any trouble.
I'd installed passenger side cover onto driverside.
The only mod is you must make small bolt hole on side of cover.

Oh, Min Seok

Bringing this back from the dead because it answered one question I had and almost every 60 or 62 has a torn dirver's side seat cover(I really do search)... the second would be - has anyone taken the rear seat cover and had an Upholstery shop fab a new bottom seat cover or covers for the front?

Since I am not planning on taking my rear seat apart, I appreciate any opinion on this and whether or not anyone has a good grey bottom seat cover for either driver or passenger side or rear seat cover laying around and would like to part with it. I remember seeing somewhere (besides SOR or OEM) where just the material was available, but that was years ago and I don’t think it is still out there… Anyone know on this?

I already posted in parts wanted but needed this question about making one out of the rear seat cover answered.

Bringing this back from the dead because it answered one question I had and almost every 60 or 62 has a torn dirver's side seat cover(I really do search)... the second would be - has anyone taken the rear seat cover and had an Upholstery shop fab a new bottom seat cover or covers for the front?

I doubt the material is available anymore. SOR uses parts of old seats to make theirs and they seem to be fine. That's what's in my BJ60.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=138133&highlight=seat

The seat bottoms on a 62 DS and PS are different, but can be interchanged. The only difference is that there is a different texture fabric where the seat belt rubs. I think it's to keep it from squeaking or rubbing through. After I put a PS side bottom on my DS I used a seat cover, so it doesn't squeak.

Has anyone tried to make the seat covers out of the rear seats? I know my Upholstery gal can take apart anything and sew it back up... only the fabric is messed up on my seat and she could take the old panel out and sew in a new one from either a PS seat cover or something she cut out and sewed up from the grey fabric from a back seat...

What you think?

I just swapped a passenger side bottom cover and foam for my beat up, torn old one in my '82. Easy swap I just had to cut one hole no problem.

Dynosoar

Would a US passenger side seat base, be the sameas an Australian drivers side seat base..?

My drivers side is torn and the foam getting wrecked as we get out the vehicle. Can't seem to source new foams here in Aus, but i could order them from SOR in the states if you guys have new parts there. The issue then is how to fix the seat cover, which is frayed and i don't think immediately, or easily repairable.

My idea is to get a passenger side seat cover from US as typically it would be less worn than any secondhand drivers side cover from Aus (all have similar problems..!)

Cheers ~PHIL

I had a local auto/marine upholstery shop do the install of the SOR driver's side foam a few months ago. They were able to color match a piece of vinyl for the torn piece, and sew it to the original material. Looks new. At least on that side. And man, does it ride better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom