seat repair and thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
I repaired my seats today. I had some thought I thought I'd share on why the seat wears out on the outside edge.

This picture shows how the original foam is almost completely cut through. This is on the outside (left leg) side where the seats always collapse.
IMG_0233 (2).JPG

Once I started looking it looks to me that what's happening is that the frame itself is cutting into the foam when you get in and out. This isn't making the fabric wear out, but it is contributing to the foam collapsing.

This photo shows the edge that I'm talking about. Its the outside edge, where the pieces of foam are sitting.
IMG_0234 (2).JPG

Another shot of the edge that I think is causing the problem.
IMG_0235 (2).JPG

My solution was to attach a thick piece of leather to the frame before I installed my new foam. I didn't use the $or foam. I used a passeger side piece of foam from a set of foam and fabric that I bought a few years ago. BTW, I also used the fabric from the passeger side of that same set. It doesn't have the felt piece by the seatbelt, but other than that it looks like it will work fine. I think the felt is there so that the seat belt doesn't rub and make noise. If mine does I'll stick some soft fabric to the seatbelt.
IMG_0236 (2).JPG
IMG_0237 (2).JPG

Good work, Thanks for the post.

Simple yet good fix. Hopefully it will last longer this time.
I'm considering buying the foam for the driver side seat from SOR and having an uphostery shop replace it for me. After having the upholstery and floor steam cleaned doesn't look so bad. It will definety save me $$$ in new uphostery cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom