seat re-build needed in WA any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tdfox

Rover31 Jedi Master
Threads
Good day Cruiser heads.
Finally have my 40 going now I need to redo the seats. They are thrashed! new foam new covers are needed. I talked to one of the two local guys in the Wenatchee Valley. I was quoted a minimum of $12-1400 and up to over 2k if I want the frames painted. Ouch and I thought he was the less expensive guy!

So I am looking at CC covers (waiting on a call back from them about foam) or a SOR foam and cover kit. The kit from Metric is nice but out of my range.

Should I dive into it or is there a shop in Seattle of Spokane that is good and not soooo pricey or am I just cheap?

FYI my brake upgrade from Tor is AMAZING!

Thanks

T

If it were me - and it's partially because I'm not after stock... I would consider calling marine upholstery companies.... then you may end up with waterproof stuff and shops that stay pretty busy doing just this kind of work... I'm surprised it's this expensive considering how straightforward the seats are (at least the bench seats seem to be)

There are a couple of threads on this subject and I believe I remember folks liking their CruiserCorps seat covers a lot. I think they're even on sale right now. I would also look at doing the refurb on the frames yourself, they're not that complicated and then source some foam and the covers and take them to a shop you trust to put them together? Just a thought.

Yep I was a bit shocked at the quote.

I did a search and all Ihave been reading for the last two days is on seats! Lots of info but seems to be a few years old. I wanted to "shake" the tree to see if any new info was out there. Specifically to WA state.

Mike from CC called me right after I posted and gave me some good tips. Looking at that direction...
I attached a pic of the front seat.

Thanks
T

image.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a set from SOR and installed them myself. It was not hard. Took about 12 hours to tear them down, clean up the frames and install the new foam and covers.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423660034.197850.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423660052.596426.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423660070.395518.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423660089.562165.jpg

Good talking with you yesterday.If you get into it and find yourself in trouble just give me a call.Our seat covers are made to factory specs so they are pretty simple to install.
Thanks Mike

Thanks folks, pulled the trigger on the CC covers. This weekend the seat will come out and cleaning, prep will hopefully happen.

T

Go for it yourself! It is really quite easy and the Cruisercorps covers are great! (And on sale as mentioned 20% off!) Watch a few videos online as there are some tricks that make it easier (do them on a warm day, turn them inside out, roll it down, etc). Make sure you keep all the wires from the old seat to either reuse or get the lengths for new wire (I used new galvanized 14g wire from Home Depot $7 for a 100' spool).

I had never done seats before and mine turned out great! I used epoxy rattle can to paint the frames and that really dressed then up nicely. I didn't get new foam as mine were in better condition than yours and would've driven the cost up a lot. But it would've been nice as the covers would've fit tighter. I think for your era seats you could source the foam pretty easily since they aren't molded buckets just flat foam. I've used an online source for foam that was super reasonable. https://www.onlinefabricstore.net

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423667416.849608.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423667442.653097.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423667390.846868.jpg

I did mine myself using the SOR covers and foam. Nothing too difficult, just labor intensive. Heating the vinyl a bit makes a huge difference on it's stretchiness. So keep that in mind when you're trying to clamp the bull rings. 30 minutes in the sun should do the trick.

Also, consider picking up new bolts ahead of time. They'll look nicer against a newly painted frame.

Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it and the encouragement. Now I am spending time reading about foam destinies.
2 inches thick of a firm or medium firm correct?

Thanks
T

I love seeing pics of our seat covers installed! I might even hijack those pics and put them on our site.We take pride in our craftsmanship and all our covers are made right in our shop so we can do our own QC.Thanks for showing the off.

T as far as yours are concerned,I would go with the 2" foam we talked about on the top of the springs.You can always add more padding at the bottom over the springs as well.
Take Care Mike

Now I am curious...should I get new foam too? High density? Mine seems ok. Mike, thanks for the 20% deal this week :) good timing.
T, keep posting progress!

image.jpg

Those foams look good. If they aren't mushy and seem comfortable for your typical drives, buy some 1/2" foam from a fabric store and cut it out the size of the top of the existing foam. I actually did this to my driver's seat as the pad was more worn, but mostly on the side closest to the door. So my piece of foam didn't cover the entire bottom just the flat part and the side closest to the door. Definitely evened things out and made the cover tighter.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423719597.238049.jpg

The one on the left is the driver's side bottom. You can see how the contour is deeper.

Yeah dang missed the sale by a month and a half... Great deal almost $100 off front and rear covers!
I was thinking that to haha. But they are worth the regular price so I'm happy. I still haven't unpacked mine yet but hopefully in a month or two. Yours came out great.

My daughter's friend saw my seats so I am the "seat upholstery expert" to her. Now her mom wants me to help her install covers for her 2004 Lexus... That should be interesting. Hope it's as easy... Will have some electronics to deal with but I'm hoping the concept is the same. Might use Velcro instead of wires too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom