Seat heater upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone upgraded their seat heaters and or added the ability to switch from back or bottom element only? I have a bad back and would love to be able to use the back element by itself on road trips. I did a search but couldn’t find anything. I am getting ready to replace my seat cushion and now would be the time. Thx for any help. Mark

I would love to upgrade to ventilated seats, personally.

But I imagine if you really want to, you could wire the different portions of the switch to the individual sections of the heater element.

I would love to upgrade to ventilated seats, personally.

But I imagine if you really want to, you could wire the different portions of the switch to the individual sections of the heater element.
I am with you. Summer and GA and cooled seats would be amazing. I have driven vehicles with that option and for us guys, it is quite nice. I wonder if the cooled seats push of pull the air through the seat?

There's a company that does a ventilated seat kit for the 100. Comes with new perforated skins, new reticulated foam, the fans and the wiring. I forget what the group is called but worth a Google. It's been on my list for a few years.

There's a company that does a ventilated seat kit for the 100. Comes with new perforated skins, new reticulated foam, the fans and the wiring. I forget what the group is called but worth a Google. It's been on my list for a few years.
Mosely Motors

Cooled seats + the crotch vent would be the perfect summer time combination.

There is a downside to perforated leather- over time the natural creases in the leather start to play a little game with the perforations called connect the dots. Your leather doesn't last nearly as long.

@merbesfield , I don't have experience modifying the EXISTING seat heaters, but I did install a universal set of upper and lower seat heaters in a 4Runner that had separate heating pads for the upper and lower with separate plugs that plugged into the relay that came with the kit; they didn't have separate upper and lower controls, but you could easily leave one pad out or presumably add an additional relay and switch for separate control. There are lots of them available on Amazon (some with 2 pads and some with 4 pads) for less than $100 (I used a brand called WATERCARBON and they worked great). Something similar to this:
Amazon product ASIN B09JVY3HD5
I don't know if this is the best option or not (use your own discretion), but I assume you could simply add an additional universal seat heater element on the back (wired completely separate from the factory seat heater), and put the extra switch somewhere else. Just make sure you don't run both heaters at the same time (could get too hot in the back), or remove the factory heater from the seat back and use the universal seat heater in the seat back, and then you have two separate systems for the lower and the back. You might be able to even add a factory seat heater switch for the universal back element mounted somewhere else (I have some blanks on the lower dash near my steering wheel).

This would be a little wonky, and I always prefer to be as factory as possible, but this might be an option. Hope this helps.

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom