Seat gear sludge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally got around to addressing the seat gears as they haven't moved in quite some time. The driver's was all the way back so there was no urgency.

Ordered the Gamiviti gears and tore into it.

It wasn't the gears at all rather the grease on the seat side of the plastic gears had turned to a hard taffy consistency on both gears of both seats. So I spent a few hours carefully soaking, cleaning and re-greasing everything with Sil-Glyde. Swapped and flipped left and right gear in each motor just because. Took my time as I didn't want to break the gear housing. Even cleaned and greased the seat tracks (penetrating grease makes this easy) and worm gear.

Reassembled and everything's great. Gamiviti gears go in the spares box.

D2713478-C4D3-4EF8-B075-8474CE18EDB6.jpeg
574A6B77-35C1-4603-B55D-B680C6A6F5CB.jpeg
93AF5F3A-156C-4B48-9AE1-8899D110C71C.jpeg

I believe that's an OEM rubber washer that has dissolved into glue

I considered that; makes sense; damn.

Anyone know a size, part number, or alternative??

Going to have to open her up again.

Good job. I just hosed mine out with brake clean and lubed with white lithium grease. Worked great for a year and a half now.
Exactly what I did!

I considered that; makes sense; damn.

Anyone know a size, part number, or alternative??

Going to have to open her up again.

My rubber washer was completely obliterated, just pieces floating around in there. IIRC I didn't put anything in there to replace it and it's been fine.

I had the same problems and findings when I went to replace my gears. Ultimately I just swapped in some manual seats.

FWIW I used Dow Corning 33 Medium Silicone Grease for the seat gears and jack screws.

Saw that in a previous thread about the Molykote 33. Looks like good stuff; worth the cost.

So is it the petroleum in the white lithium grease that degrades the rubber? Not sure what grease Toyota used in these motors but something really did a number on that washer.

good info for keeping an eye out for that little rubber washer. i know Ace and Home Depot tend to have neoprene washers in their parts aisle, though a little trimming could be necessary for a perfect fit.
So is it the petroleum in the white lithium grease that degrades the rubber? Not sure what grease Toyota used in these motors but something really did a number on that washer.
that would be my guess, or a PO had used a spray oil for maintenance. i'm about to tear into mine to replace the outer gears, and i'm only going to use soap+water and alcohol to clean it up, then a plastic-compatible grease. and, while it's probably overkill, i'll clean the worm gear and give it a coating of graphite or other dry lube to cut down on dust sticking to it.

the silly thing is that i'm the only driver and the seat is already in a good position for me. the seat failed Maryland's registration inspection, though (safety equipment must be fully functional), so here i am.

- emilio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom