Seat Fabric / Material for 88' FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 88' FJ62 with a rip in the front seat (I know everyone does). Wondering what my options are for having someone sew in a replacement strip/piece. Anyone know where I can source some of this fabric? A parted rear seat? What are the chances it matches my 'sun fade' if I do find some?

1594923531647.png

Unfortunately this fabric is pretty impossible to find new replacement for, with no accurate reproductions and the closest (which is still a pretty far cry IMO) being a repro of an old GM style. Only way it'd fool anyone is if ALL the fabric in your interior was replaced with it.

A few years ago got a Used (very good condition) replacement along with the foam cushion From SOR.com. Likely parted out from their yard . Don’t know if they still have any. I had it installed by my local upholstery shop in a couple of hours.

A few years ago got a Used (very good condition) replacement along with the foam cushion From SOR.com. Likely parted out from their yard . Don’t know if they still have any. I had it installed by my local upholstery shop in a couple of hours.

What did it cost you?

Search the forum for SMS Auto. At $120/sq yard (need a yard per seat) it ain't cheap, but really close.

Get a passenger seat in good used shape. Swap the fabrics. You'll lose the bit of felt near the recline lever, and there will be a hole against the console that doesn't belong there, but it's looks pretty good overall. This is what I did. Cost me $50 for the passenger seat.

Plus, it gives you an opportunity to inspect the steel seat back frame. Very common for these to have stress cracks in the steel. Worth welding up if you're in there anyway.

IMG_20190331_140135.jpg

IMG_20190316_112443.jpg

I also got a passenger seat bottom to do the same. Neck deep in issues on my 80, so haven't fixed it yet...but it's on the list.

If you find it, buy it. There were only around 11,000 FJ62s sold. No idea what the split is between brown and gray. I also think the '87 60 series has the same stripe pattern.

Could there be enough 'extra' fabric up under the seat to have an upholstery shop repair just that one strip?

I ordered some fabric from SMS, If your looking for Brown you might not be happy. I have seen the blue/grey and it’s real close to a match. I ordered 3
63C2886A-1A1E-4B40-83AB-9780060F679D.jpeg
yards of brown and it looks like it’s not even the same pattern. Yes that’s brown in the photo.

I ordered some fabric from SMS, If your looking for Brown you might not be happy. I have seen the blue/grey and it’s real close to a match. I ordered 3View attachment 2374976 yards of brown and it looks like it’s not even the same pattern. Yes that’s brown in the photo.
What cross reference did you use for SMS? I had looked there before but just kept hitting dead ends for anything even remotely close on the gray.

Could there be enough 'extra' fabric up under the seat to have an upholstery shop repair just that one strip?

not that I have ever seen. the fabric is just what you see, the sides are vinly and the top is fabric, underneath is just open

You could always have a leather wear patch sewn over each side.

There’s no low-price click on a web link solution for this. Either pay the money at SOR or start calling places that part these trucks out. It takes patience.

A couple of years ago I bought half of a rear seat cover in grey for $25 from a place in Colorado that was parting cruisers. Took some back and forth, and I had to find a local upholstery shop that was willing to do the repair. I was happy with $80 for the sewing and install & $25 for the seat material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom