Seat belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '94 FZJ 80 has a driver's seat belt that is wore slap out. I thought about sending it out for repair, but not having air bags makes the seat belt the most important personal safety device. So, I would like to purchase a new one. I see the OEM replacements sell for about $170.00. However, several places sell a universal 3-point system for about $90.00.
Does anyone have any experience with a universal replacement belt? I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this matter.

My '94 FZJ 80 has a driver's seat belt that is wore slap out. I thought about sending it out for repair, but not having air bags makes the seat belt the most important personal safety device. So, I would like to purchase a new one. I see the OEM replacements sell for about $170.00. However, several places sell a universal 3-point system for about $90.00.
Does anyone have any experience with a universal replacement belt? I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this matter.
You can buy a clean used passenger belt and switch the belt to the driver's side.

I recommend shipping it to the restoration place recommended by most on this forum.

Toyota doesn't have them.

Don't do a universal belt.

You can buy a clean used passenger belt and switch the belt to the driver's side.

I recommend shipping it to the restoration place recommended by most on this forum.

Toyota doesn't have them.

Don't do

I will look for a used one then. Both my belts have wonky retractors and greasy stained nylon belts that smell of sweat. Thanks for the info and your time. Happy Trails.

@arcteryx
@slow95z

Either may have what you need.

The restoration place also rebuilds the retractors.

I just sent four of my seatbelts off to safety restore in MA. They have a fast turn around and for $100 per seatbelt, they will replace the webbing and retighten the clock spring inside your retractor.

I might have an extra seatbelt on the shelf for you to use while yours are at the shop being refurbished. I’ll have to check my inventory in the morning and I’ll let you know.

Did MyAirbags have a close match to the factory colors (OAK, Grey)?

Got photos?

MyAirbags in Texas also does a good job on restoring seat belts. They turn it around in like 2 days and ship it two day back to you. Total time away depends on how you ship it to them. I tried Safety Restore first and they could not get a color even close to matching the tan/oak belts.
This is the first negative review I heard about them. Did they give you a refund less the shipping?

I just sent four of my seatbelts off to safety restore in MA. They have a fast turn around and for $100 per seatbelt, they will replace the webbing and retighten the clock spring inside your retractor.

I might have an extra seatbelt on the shelf for you to use while yours are at the shop being refurbished. I’ll have to check my inventory in the morning and I’ll let you know.
If you have an extra belt, that would be appreciated. Being an ex-firefighter/EMT and now a trauma surgery RN, has made me very aware for the need to wear a seatbelt. I just do not feel right if I'm not buckled in (but thanks to those that do not as their organ donations go to help many others in need...).
Please advise on your loaner details. Thanks brother!

If you have an extra belt, that would be appreciated. Being an ex-firefighter/EMT and now a trauma surgery RN, has made me very aware for the need to wear a seatbelt. I just do not feel right if I'm not buckled in (but thanks to those that do not as their organ donations go to help many others in need...).
Please advise on your loaner details. Thanks brother!
07046888-3DB0-481D-B956-9B268014B387.jpeg
C8C2F517-C270-4307-A3E1-85D14547CF73.jpeg

I’ll let you borrow it until yours comes back. Pm me.

I used Myairbags (in GA) for my grey belts. They were fast to turnaround once they had all four belts. Shipping there and back was the longest delay, but normal Fedex/Ups times at the end of the day. Belt material and color is a very close match that only a 100pt Concour would detect. I think the only thing I've seen others say about Seatbeltrestore, is they remove and resew the Toyota tags....Myairbags didn't do that. I'm super happy w/ my supple belts that I don't have to manually feed back into the guides, and mechanismns that aren't full of 30yr old dirt and dog hair!

I believe I posted this in other threads, but my case was delayed by a bad tensioner in the passenger belt. I didn't know it had failed. Without calling, they tried to use a universal/substitute body, and grafted on my original mounting ear. Well that didn't work right as I couldn't then re-install the body as it no longer fit properly in the belt cavity. This required sourcing a used belt (thanks @slow95z !) to scavenge JUST the tensioner, and ship it all back. I wish the tech had reached out prior to taking the initiative. I have other cars so it wasn't a huge issue, just an inconvenience and annoyance.

This is the first negative review I heard about them. Did they give you a refund less the shipping?
Yes, they did. I did not mean my statement to be negative, just a fact that they could not match the color. After talking to the tech there it seems like it's hit and miss on what belts they have available, when I sent mine in they did not have anything close and couldn't give an ETA on when that color might come in. I elected to take the refund and try somewhere else. MyAirbags had the color I needed, they were more expensive though.

Yes, they did. I did not mean my statement to be negative, just a fact that they could not match the color. After talking to the tech there it seems like it's hit and miss on what belts they have available, when I sent mine in they did not have anything close and couldn't give an ETA on when that color might come in. I elected to take the refund and try somewhere else. MyAirbags had the color I needed, they were more expensive though.
Solid feedback. I’ll keep MyAirbags in mind if safety restore can’t ride up to the demand.

For Safety Restore to charge a $100 per belt should absolutely come with a perfect match in color. Maybe my expectations are too high for the cost, but seems expensive to me. Of course, what matters most is safety, but damn match the color! I want the paramedics to find me in my cruiser with matching oak belts across my body when they have cut them off of me.

yep, it’s the one you sent me! Being passed around like my exgirlfriend. Except he wanted to buy it and I wasn’t selling. That’s how much you mean to me, Francis.

I just wanted thank everyone for their responses/ information and especially FMC80 for his kind offer of a belt loan. Because I feel so strongly about having a safe and perfectly functioning seat belt, I decided to purchase a new OEM one from TRDShop.com. Cost was $170.00 with tax and shipping.
Now, I won't be ejected through the windshield during a forward collision. Instead, they can just bury me and the rig together! I can be like an ancient Egyptian and have my Toy with me in the afterlife and continue to pour all my money into her...

I just wanted thank everyone for their responses/ information and especially FMC80 for his kind offer of a belt loan. Because I feel so strongly about having a safe and perfectly functioning seat belt, I decided to purchase a new OEM one from TRDShop.com. Cost was $170.00 with tax and shipping.
Now, I won't be ejected through the windshield during a forward collision. Instead, they can just bury me and the rig together! I can be like an ancient Egyptian and have my Toy with me in the afterlife and continue to pour all my money into her...
What color did you find available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom