Seat belt buzzer mystery, help needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 60 series had to go for an out of province Inspection, which is pretty rigorous. One of the items they failed me on was the seat belt buzzer and light did not come on. So I’ve done some diagnosing and trial and still having trouble...

Dash warning bulb was out, so replaced, works.

seat belt switch should be closed when unbuckled, didn’t work, wired were broken, fixed, meter shows it working properly now.
Now even if I bypass the seat belt, jump a wire from the green to black/white(ground) and turn the key, the buzzer beeps and the dash light comes on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Tried a different problem with the same result.
Is this normal operation? What do you guys see in your cruisers?

Any help is much appreciated, need to figure this out by tomorrow before I have to pay another 170$ for reinspection

This is what it say's in my owners manuals for my 1985--"Seat Belt Reminder light and Buzzer As a reminder to you and your passengers, this light will come on for about 4 to 8 seconds each time the ignition key is placed at "ON" or "START". The buzzer will operate only if the driver's seat belt is not fastened."

This is what it say's in my owners manuals for my 1985--"Seat Belt Reminder light and Buzzer As a reminder to you and your passengers, this light will come on for about 4 to 8 seconds each time the ignition key is placed at "ON" or "START". The buzzer will operate only if the driver's seat belt is not fastened."

can you send me a picture of your manual? I’ll have to show that to the inspector. Also, if you have any documentation in there that says the clutch does not need a switch that would prevent the ignition from turning unless the clutch pedal is pressed. That would be a huge help!

can you send me a picture of your manual? I’ll have to show that to the inspector. Also, if you have any documentation in there that says the clutch does not need a switch that would prevent the ignition from turning unless the clutch pedal is pressed. That would be a huge help!

also, does it mean the buzzer is supposed to beep ANY time the seat belt is undone, or just for the 4-8 seconds?

I put some picture of the owners manual in the attached PDF. My manual is for the 1985 model year and covers North America (US and Canada). There isn't any documentation specifically stating that there is no clutch or neutral safety switch, but the instructions for starting do say to put the truck in neutral and disengage the clutch. Otherwise you can track down a copy of the wiring diagram to show there is no switch, but somehow, shouldn't your inspection know this stuff already? How are you supposed to prove it never had something?

My interpretation of the buzzer is that it only comes on during the first 4 to 8 seconds. I don't every remember hearing it on my truck, so maybe mine doesn't work :frown:

Attachments

• owners manual excerpt small.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 60
Wow! I thought you Canadians had it made. That seatbelt buzzer on my 87 would annoy me to no end if the driver door was open with the ignition switch on "accessory". All I wanted was to be able to open the doors and listen to music while I was enjoying a camp fire. So I opened up that little black box behind the PS kick panel and clipped the wires. Why the Nannies thought that was more important than a "You left your headlights on" buzzer is why I long for the old days. Sacrificing technique for technology is why IQ's have been on a downward trend.

...and how many times I helped someone because their vehicle's clutch safety switch failed leaving them stranded.
Rant over, sorry I wasn't more helpful. Maybe but a hidden switch in after you find the problem so you can turn it off until your next inspection? Good luck!

I think the seat belt light comes on when you first turn the ke

You should find out when your government mandated clutch safety switches and see if it applies to your vehicle. If your vehicle was built before the specified date then you can use that paperwork to prove to the inspector. If Toyota didn't put a clutch switch in and there was no federal mandate for one at that time then there is unlikely to be any wording in the manual stating that there is no need for it.

There are directions for a cheap Radio Shack buzzer thing jobber.

I put some picture of the owners manual in the attached PDF. My manual is for the 1985 model year and covers North America (US and Canada). There isn't any documentation specifically stating that there is no clutch or neutral safety switch, but the instructions for starting do say to put the truck in neutral and disengage the clutch. Otherwise you can track down a copy of the wiring diagram to show there is no switch, but somehow, shouldn't your inspection know this stuff already? How are you supposed to prove it never had something?

My interpretation of the buzzer is that it only comes on during the first 4 to 8 seconds. I don't every remember hearing it on my truck, so maybe mine doesn't work :frown:
interesting that your manual suggests starting with the clutch pedal pressed. but they weren't wired with a safety switch. It makes logical sense as it removes resistance to the motor and is safer in case you left it in gear, but that part of the manual does not help my case

If your hydrolic clutch fails, FJ60s can be started in gear to get you home. Now that is a safety feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom