Seasoning brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once you put new pads in, do you need to 'season' them or prep them in anyway? I did this a few years ago, and just started driving with no ill effects. Now that i'm a member of this site, i should ask y'all's advice ;)

i read in car and driver that to do it the best do a couple series of stops from different speeds, up to around 60, and then do the stops in increasing severity, the hardest stop from 60, so severe that it is right before abs kicks in. i dont do this, and have had no ill effects.

Look up brake bedding

A little wasabi goes a long way......I recently did new rotors and pads for the front....I found some clear stretches and did a few hard stops to see if anything was pulling or dragging and then did a few errands in low traffic conditions....Then...right back to business as usual....

thanks!

stayalert said:
A little wasabi goes a long way......I recently did new rotors and pads for the front....I found some clear stretches and did a few hard stops to see if anything was pulling or dragging and then did a few errands in low traffic conditions....Then...right back to business as usual....

Can't go wrong with rosemarry or thyme.....

stayalert said:

Can't go wrong with rosemarry or thyme..... Though I do believe they brake best when marinated with cracked pepper, olive oil, and garlic. But thats just me.

I am bored

chiz45 said:
Once you put new pads in, do you need to 'season' them or prep them in anyway?

There are varying beliefs on this, but the majority probably would agree that bedding in new brake pads is a good idea. If you choose to do it, the most important aspect is selecting an appropriate (and safe) place to do it.

There's a decent white paper on StopTech's website that goes into details.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

A friend, who is a mechanic at a reputable Corvette shop in town, & I just did the brakes on the 97 a little over a month ago. He suggested that we needed to seat the pads in the rotors. I asked him if they do that at work. He said that they do everytime a brake job is done.

To seat the front pads, we made sudden forward stops until we smelled burning brakes.

For the rear, we made sudden rear stops until we smelled burning brakes. Some front stops as well. On this one, we smelled more of the front brakes burning than the rears. Once you smell something, you're good to go.

We used Mintex 100 series pads in front & Mintex pads in the rear. Great stopping power, but plenty of brake dust.

97fortieth4me said:
To seat the front pads, we made sudden forward stops until we smelled burning brakes.

For the rear, we made sudden rear stops until we smelled burning brakes. Some front stops as well. On this one, we smelled more of the front brakes burning than the rears. Once you smell something, you're good to go.

We used Mintex 100 series pads in front & Mintex pads in the rear. Great stopping power, but plenty of brake dust.

I have an "FJ"80-so I guess "seating" the brake pads is difficult as it requires "sudden" stops, he he he he:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom