searching for that perfect 60

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, maybe not perfect - but perfect to me. ive alawys loved 60's for as long as i can remember, but on the flip side of that ive always been a jeep guy as thats what i was raised in and have been my vehicle of choice.

now call me crazy, but im seriously considering selling my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and tracking down that mysterious and hidden no rust 60 with a reasonable amount of miles on the clock in a color that i like and no accidents.

what would be in you guys' opnions the best avenues to start searching? im not a novice on the mechancis of vehicles - both of my Jeeps are well modified in what are the best components in the Jeep world and as well im a Mechanic for the Air Force. As far as diagnosing the obvious and less obvious of mechanical issues, thats not a problem. what problem i do have is the issues that are specific to 60's that are not well known, or atleast not well known to someone who doesnt really know all that much about the Jap side of the 4x4 sport.

all im really looking for is a reliable (as reliable as a 20+ year old vehicle can be) that i can enjoy as a classic DD, and trail runner with limited Overland Travel. i dont know if that means i should seek out a classic 60, or try and find a 62 with the options i want and put a 60 front clip on it (because IMO they look better and i could happily move my TruckLite headlights over from my Jeep)

anyway - thanks!

Rust free means from the west.

They are all reliable, if well maintained. Even when poorly maintained, they still keep chugging along.

Passing smog can be an issue...so consider that depending on where you live (or might live in the future).

Sounds like you have the wrenching skills, but are you up for bringing back an older truck? This can take some time and patience. If you are game for that, then you'll have more options. Find a low/no rust truck from the west, with a clean body, and get it for the best price you can. Start with whatever you got, make it what you want.

SOLD mine today. Hated to do it. I had a 173K 5 speed truck that could be driven anywhere but I also have a growing family and my wife can't drive a stick. I agree with the previous post. With 2.5" OME, new BFG AT's, New 5 spd., cold A/C and driving as good as any new vehicle you are looking at $9K-$10500.

Go for a 5 speed and you will love it!

Welcome to the club and happy searching.

It took me 6 months to find mine. I finally found an 1987, 160K miles with no rust next door in CT (believe it or not).

It was literally a barn find.

The guy never took it out in winter and he was the second owner since 1989.

Anyway, I got this little tool from a mud member when I was searching. It helped me a lot.

http://75.148.127.254/states.htm

It's a Craigslist search tool. It's pretty great.

Happy hunting, and welcome.

I know the feeling.. I looked for almost 2yrs before I found the one for me. Mine still had some rust, a few mechanical issues but ran well and got my wife and I back from an over 500 mile trip with ZERO issues. I will have had her for a year in October and she has not let me down once, even took her up some nasty fireroad to a fishing lake this morning and she did not disappointed. The PO of mine did an OK job of taking care of her but not the best.

Start looking all over, classifieds in newspapers, craigslist, get in contact with the local clubs and what not (see the clubhouse tab at the top of the page). All of these are great avenues, I found mine randomly through Cruiser Outfitters Facebook page as they posted it up on there as having seen it in their local newspaper classifieds online.

what is your budget?
because the one the you're looking for is an 8-10k ride...if not more.

If I go this rout selling my Jeep, once the difference in the loan is paid back I'd have roughly 26-27,000$ for a total budget. If I were to get a 60 my front lights can swap over easy, as well as I can remove all my rigids and take my warn and c02 system.

There was a loaded 62 on cars.com for 13k that had fresh paint on it and looked mint. I was immediately leery of it due to the new paint possibly covering up a few pounds of bondo all over the place. And it was an auto. Eww.

Rust free means from the west.

They are all reliable, if well maintained. Even when poorly maintained, they still keep chugging along.

Passing smog can be an issue...so consider that depending on where you live (or might live in the future).

Sounds like you have the wrenching skills, but are you up for bringing back an older truck? This can take some time and patience. If you are game for that, then you'll have more options. Find a low/no rust truck from the west, with a clean body, and get it for the best price you can. Start with whatever you got, make it what you want.

Ky has no vehicle inspections, smog or anything for that matter. I probably won't ever leave here unless I have to. All that said I'm perfectly fine with brining a 60 back. My only issue is that because it would be a DD I'd need a solid driveline for the long term as I could collect parts for a new engine to rebuild and throw in.

Ultimately I'd like to have it sitting in a way that i don't have to worry about anything - it's ready to go at a moments notice. All this said though I've never owned a LC anything. I admire them. Still trying to decide if this is something I should pursue, or hold out for a couple more years and buy an LC in addition to

Check out the FAQ's at the top of the 60 forum page. It's in the stickies. A wealth of knowledge in there. Here's a tip for Craigslist: when searching, type in landcruiser, then after looking through all those, type in land cruiser with a space and you'll get a whole different batch to look at. If you find something in San Diego I can look it over and take detailed pics for you. There's a few around here.

Oh, and welcome!

Get a blue one.

I have a blue one already, looking for a sand colored one if I can get lucky. Thanks for the tips on the FAQ. I was poking around for one last night and I must have glazed past it. I already discovered the Craigslist tip. Unfortunately in my local area all the LCs are poorly maintained and rusted. Even all the 80 series are hard to look at sometimes.

Here is my jeep. I know - I'm a heathen in these parts.
IMG_5902-2_zpsd28c74a5.jpg

...There was a loaded 62 on cars.com for 13k that had fresh paint on it and looked mint. I was immediately leery of it due to the new paint possibly covering up a few pounds of bondo all over the place. And it was an auto. Eww.

Don't be so quick to ewww an auto. ;)
For a family rig, especially if you have any opportunity to drive around in any real rush hour traffic, They can be a lifesaver, and you can learn to appreciate them real quickly.

Ultimately I'd like to have it sitting in a way that i don't have to worry about anything - it's ready to go at a moments notice. All this said though I've never owned a LC anything. I admire them. Still trying to decide if this is something I should pursue, or hold out for a couple more years and buy an LC in addition to

As has been previously mentioned, finding one in the condition you want, will probably be both expensive and time consuming. Then again, even a "pristine" model, depending on who did the restoration or maintenance, may still leave something to be desired.

All that said, they're great trucks, unique, relatively dependable, and did I mention unique:D

Coming from the unlimited, you'll find there's more room, but may miss the power and open air ride.

Both rigs are unique in their own way.
I'd love to have an unlimited just for the 4 doors and removable top.

IMHO, If you can cut it, I'd save and have both.:beer:

I had an auto f150 inbetween my two jeeps and I just hated it. There was no joy in driving it. I just can't see myself in anything but a stick

And yeah, I have fears of immediately regretting selling my jeep no matter how much my wife hates it. I think to I'd be agitated over stepping down from 300 horse power to whatever the 2F makes.

Decisions decisons...

You have looked in the Mud classifieds right?

I had an auto f150 inbetween my two jeeps and I just hated it. There was no joy in driving it. I just can't see myself in anything but a stick

And yeah, I have fears of immediately regretting selling my jeep no matter how much my wife hates it. I think to I'd be agitated over stepping down from 300 horse power to whatever the 2F makes.

Decisions decisons...

135 in an FJ60, just so you know.

More torque from 1000 to about 2500 rpms than the jeep, though, I think.

You could also look for something that's already had a V8 swapped into it. A good swap, though. Not a backyard bottom-dollar hack job.

I suggest you keep your current vehicle and save some $$ while you find the one you looking for..
I think the best way to get the 60's experience is to start from stock form, love / hate it... whatever...
You can build from there and OHHH THE FUN that can be had with this rigs !!!!

Good luck !!

... If you find something in San Diego I can look it over and take detailed pics for you. There's a few around here.

San Diego? I'm a rookie based out of there as well (Oceanside) and trying to get my hands on my first FJ60...

I've been scouring CL and the classifieds here for the past few months. I'm in no rush to buy but always looking for a deal to fall in my lap. Any additional places worth looking (clubs, local sites, etc?).

Drove a friends 62 last week and can't wait to get one to call my own (but without the auto).

San Diego? I'm a rookie based out of there as well (Oceanside) and trying to get my hands on my first FJ60...

I've been scouring CL and the classifieds here for the past few months. I'm in no rush to buy but always looking for a deal to fall in my lap. Any additional places worth looking (clubs, local sites, etc?).

Drove a friends 62 last week and can't wait to get one to call my own (but without the auto).

Yep, just checked CL and there are only four 60's listed between here, Inland Empire and Palm Springs. One of em is in Washington wtf? If you need any help shoot me a pm.

Hmmmm, not many 60's for sale but a lot of 62's... Hmmmmm... :flipoff:

Thanks Dan. Yeah saw the weird Washington rig that's not quite in LA. I may send a PM or two if I find something. You in NSD, SSD, or out east?

Thanks Dan. Yeah saw the weird Washington rig that's not quite in LA. I may send a PM or two if I find something. You in NSD, SSD, or out east?

I'd say pretty much central, I'm in Clairemont, next to Pacific Beach. Enough chat, sorry to the OP for the hijack!

SOLD mine today. Hated to do it. I had a 173K 5 speed truck that could be driven anywhere but I also have a growing family and my wife can't drive a stick. I agree with the previous post. With 2.5" OME, new BFG AT's, New 5 spd., cold A/C and driving as good as any new vehicle you are looking at $9K-$10500.

Go for a 5 speed and you will love it!

Welcome to the club and happy searching.

Bryce, congrats did someone local buy it ??

On the selling the jeep.. i'd do it in a heart beat , around here everyone and thier brother has a 4 door JK but be prepared for the change in a new vehicle to one with a couple hundred K on the clock I have had about every form of jeep and other 4wd's and there is just something special about a 60... they are built very strong and are the perfect size for DD or overland type stuff ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom