Search for truth- Front Diff and Oil Pan Exposure Question

1world1love

1world1love

SILVER Star
If you were in a non-fault accident but the repair was completed by a certified shop, should that not be on your record?

You were in an accident. Instead of hitting a flagpole, you hit a rock. It needs to be documented. Period.

I don't want to belabor the point, because it absolutely needs to be documented. But how does this "VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE" help a consumer or another service tech in the future? What is internal engine damage? Internal to what? The valves? The exhaust manifold? What? Does it or does it not have internal engine damage? Was it or was it not repaired to the satisfaction of the service tech or the customer.

The service logs on my truck are from three different Lexus dealers and are very thorough and do not contain ambiguous statements. If it says that there is a suspected problem, there is an explanation of what was done to address it.

I'm not sure how this is even remotely controversial.

AnyMal

AnyMal

SILVER Star
I don't want to belabor the point, because it absolutely needs to be documented. But how does this "VEHICLE MAY ALSO HAVE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE" help a consumer or another service tech in the future? What is internal engine damage? Internal to what? The valves? The exhaust manifold? What? Does it or does it not have internal engine damage? Was it or was it not repaired to the satisfaction of the service tech or the customer.

The service logs on my truck are from three different Lexus dealers and are very thorough and do not contain ambiguous statements. If it says that there is a suspected problem, there is an explanation of what was done to address it.

I'm not sure how this is even remotely controversial.

Yeah i agree with both of yall. There is grounds for BS here with the dealership though. "2 spooky 4 me" is not a valid note.
Things that are speculative and written poorly like that need to be valid. "could have" this or that is where my issue is.

I would ask the dealer to leave it "impacted engine underside" or whatever. Not anything so vague and scary.
You can put somehting like that on any vehicle "this vehicle may be a lemon" ok... but wheres the actual evidence?

I would be upset OP and ask it to be reworded at least.

CharlieS

CharlieS

GOLD Star
I think some may be giving too much credit to these companies.

The point of a VIN report is not to help the buyer in some sort of meaningful way, it is to make the buyer feel better about a potential purpose and generate piles of revenue for the Carfax/Autcheck company. :)

Besides, they just aggregate information from a variety of data sources and put it on a nicely formatted form. The source if the data (shop, insurance company, dmv) is the issue - garbage in, garbage out. They don't curate it.

I wouldn't trust anything on a carfax that I couldn't verify for myself. Caveat emptor.

bloc

bloc

SILVER Star

The point of a VIN report is not to help the buyer in some sort of meaningful way, it is to make the buyer feel better about a potential purpose and generate piles of revenue for the Carfax/Autcheck company. :)

Besides, they just aggregate information from a variety of data sources and put it on a nicely formatted form. The source if the data (shop, insurance company, dmv) is the issue - garbage in, garbage out. They don't curate it.

I wouldn't trust anything on a carfax that I couldn't verify for myself. Caveat emptor.
At the end of the day the carfax can significantly impact the value of a vehicle though.

I agree.. factual information should be in the service history, not speculative. “Possible internal damage” is 100% speculative.

1world1love

1world1love

SILVER Star

I agree, but you and I are not average buyers. Some people think a carfax is 100% accurate for the life of a vehicle.

Putting Carfax aside, even just for future service, having the Toyota service record be as accurate as possible is very important. If I am a tech and have no other information except what I read in the service logs, I am thinking WTF? if I see "may have internal engine damage". I am troubleshooting an issue and have no idea how extensive the damage might have been or what the tech actually checked out. I can look at the work orders and invoices and guess, but at that point, Id' just start from the beginning.

In any case, I definitely didn't intend to turn it into a thing, but its frustrating to see how lazy some of these techs are. If they can't be bothered to write a decent summary of the situation, why would you trust that they completed a $9k repair job with any degree of competence.

AnyMal

AnyMal

SILVER Star
why would you trust that they completed a $9k repair job with any degree of competence.

You just don't. You have someone like bloc look at it for you.

I have carfax car care btw and i can add whatever notes i want! In case yall didnt know bout dat.

Diff Kraken

Diff Kraken

SILVER Star
Thanks all- this entire episode has caused me to lose my f-ing mind and change my user name and avatar. I will deal with the rest of the truck bulls*** later.

Behold Diff Kraken.

Signed,
The MUD user formally known as PRADO3

Diff kraken

Last edited: