Search for tranny service inconclusive. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am gathering all parts/fluids that i will need to start baselining my cruiser and plan on doing a tranny service. I have worked in a shop before where a tranny service consisted of draining and removing the pan, cleaning pan, replacing filter and gasket, reinstalling, and refilling. Is this what a tranny service for a land cruiser consists of? I seached and found complete fluid exchanges (which we also did) but i do not want to go that route unless absolutely necessary. I also found some posts that stated when they did the simple drain and refill method that about a gallon of fluid was needed, however after reading the faq section it states that the entire system uses about 11 qts and a drain/refill takes about 3.
So i'm looking for some conclusive answers. I do not want to do the entire exchange so please dont comment on that.

Main questions...
how many qts does it take when doing the drain/refill? (3ish or 4ish)
Some people say that you can not replace the tranny gasket and that you just need to clean it, some say that you can not access it at all, and some say that it is replacable. Which one is correct?

Sorry for the long post...
I did search and check faq but like i said i just didnt find any really good answers and would prefer to only make one run to advance.

Big Thanks to all.:cheers:

Some people say that you can not replace the tranny gasket and that you just need to clean it, some say that you can not access it at all, and some say that it is replacable.

Where the heck did you get that information?? Really; I'd like to know: Please direct me to a post where someone said that the filter screen is not replaceable or cannot be accessed.

Oh, and we can't tell you how much fluid you'll need till we know what tranny (i.e., what year) you have.

Curtis

Using my psychotic powers, I have deduced that you have a '91, and therefore an A440F tranny.

You will need 6-7 qts of ATF for a drain and refill if the rig has sat for 24hrs or so. (The longer it sits, the longer it drips.)

Do drop the pan and at least check/clean the screen if you're not going to replace it. I think you'll need a new gasket for it; get that from C-Dan. You'll also need some sort of sealant (orange FIPG is OEM) when re-installing the pan.

Curtis

CJF this was posted by idahodoug. It does mention the internal filter so i guess i just misread it... anyhow.

"HK,

You won't have access to the internal filter (a large screen, actually) with a drain/fill but it's still the right thing to do vs a flush. I don't have a 97 FSM for the capacity but I think it's a bit more than 4 (not much). You can likely look it up with search.

DougM"

Thank you for your replys and i guess you are somewhat um... psychotic... because i do drive a 91.

Thanks again.

Doug meant a drain/refill by just removing the drain plug, rather than the pan itself.

As you probably saw in the linked threads, my personal recommendation would be to drop the pan and check/clean the screen since the vehicle is new to you, and then just go with frequent (drain plug) drain/refills after that.

Cheers,

Curtis

Thank you very much very appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom