Search and Rescue FJ62 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used Redding Fuel Injection, Redding California. They were very honest and up front about costs, and kept the price very minimal. But they took forever and will never call you. So I would definitely use them again, just know you have to call them a lot to push the work through their shop. Speak to Kent directly also, and he doesn't work on Fridays. Since I am super busy during the day, this cost me a couple months in time.

Ok that's the place another member recommended. Bit worried about there lack of speed, if I send it out I need it back fairly quick. Cant wait 2 months for it, maybe a couple weeks.

Ill maybe see what local shops say, last I checked it was in the $1200-1600 range. Big it to the swap progress.

Well, I ordered and received the twin stick kit from Georg at Valley Hybrids, within a couple days, thanks Georg!

OK, so it does require a teardown of the transfer case, and I was unable to work on it for a week because of a business trip to Chicago, which was fun, but I want to get this DONE!!

You can see the little boss in the casting below the switch, which has to be drilled and tapped for the ball detent assembly.

Drilling in action

We have a hole!

Tapping, hand tap

Don't go too deep, you could hit the opposite wall and gouge the tube:

I also looked into the 5th gear box of the H55, and found that there was no oil cup! Glad to have found this, the previous owner had had the H55 conversion done by a shop that specialized in Landcruiser work...

So now I have a real need for the 2-4wd shaft and an oil cup. The grinding noise also shows some unfortunate wear on the syncros, which should be replaced I think if I can find the parts. Any ideas on parts places??? SOR is not listing the shafts in stock, I really haven't had to buy many parts yet either as the truck has been very reliable.

I would be very open to suggestions on places to buy parts that can be had quickly and at a fair price. :)

Good to see you're making progress on it. I'm very curious to see how you have Georg's kit all configured (placement and bends needed in the sticks themselves mostly) when you're done.

Thank you for this thread - I am always interested in builds - very informative and entertaining. That you have a shop and tools is so cool - this is a great thread; great pics of work and progress

That is a gorgeous Cruiser. Every rescue organization should have one. Pound for pound, nothing's tougher.

I'm subscribed and watching - thanks again! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Well I finally sourced the 2-4 shift rail from a 60 to get this rolling again. Hopefully it arrives soon, this was ordered from Arayama.com, who was able to source a new part from Japan. Price was similar to a used one from SOR if they had one available. Just under $100 shipped.

Can't wait to get this engine in! It is starting to get cold here in Seattle, and all the work can move indoors once the engine is mounted.

It has been almost 7 years now since my last post. Life took a huge derailment, and the project has been stalled out.

I am in a new place now, and my truck is back to a work in progress.

Updates now. New exhaust has been completed, super clean with new downpipe, no muffler for now. Let's see how it sounds first.

All support systems have been installed in the engine bay, including remote oil filter, Raycor fuel filter/separator, turbo upgrade, machined adapter to flip the turbo, t3 to t25 also, electric fan and shroud mounted.

The first start was a disaster. Could not get it to go. I sent it to a diesel shop, and they also threw their hands up and told me to come pick it up. So I dug into it and found I didn't have the injection pump timed right. I corrected it (biggest PIA ever to remove once this engine is inside an engine bay), and it fired. The engine smoked a ton and backfired a lot, and would not shut off. I had to put it into gear and stall it to shut it off.

I removed the pump and Seattle Injection did a full rebuild on it. They gave me back a bag of completely worn out parts that they replaced. Looks like the previous shop overlooked a lot. The rack was stuck causing the shutoff to not function, which was likely from sitting so long. They rebuilt it in a couple weeks.

So currently, I am installing the pump and am hoping for a running truck very soon! Still need to install a new center console, a gauge pod for EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure, and re-plumb the air compressor. I think that makes the truck functional again.

I gotta say, working on vehicles has changed for me after this, not in a good way. I am working on a bigger shop space, maybe that will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom