Seam goop

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by Eric Winkworth, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

I was wondering where I could order or buy some seam goop, you know the stuff that they put in all the small seams and stuff from the factory. Alot of body shops will use even crazyer glues/ goops for fender holes etc, it seems hurtin but I have been told it is strong as weld, well some of the stuff.

any ideas?

2. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

I guess not, well, ohh well

3. Mike S

Mike S

I was wondering the same thing, after I lost a short chunk out of my rain gutter from carrying my canoe over too many rough roads...

Any answers?

Mike S

4. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I bought a tube of stuff called "body seam filler" at Autozone.

Chiseled out the factory stuff on my gutter, did a little work, put a bead down, primered it , painted, and put the Chrome on....Should be good I hope for another 20 years.

5. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I would have thought Wayne of Rob could recommend you something. Or go down to the local painters supply and see what they recommend. I've never really used seam filler nor have done restoration just metal glaze on some light body work.

6. Island Moose

Island Moose

Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
    I'm not sure I understand the question. What small seams do you need to seal? There are 30 products for every problem involving sealing, gluing, etc...just need to know more about what you're up to.

7. Stone

Stone Moderator

Moose: He's asking about the glue bead that you see on all your body panels (or most of them anyway) where two edges meet. Easiest place to spot it is on your front clip...you'll see the bead where the clip meets the fenders, etc.

8. 2rivers

2rivers

One of my favourite products for seamsealing/emergency rust goo filler is called Silaprene - made by Uniroyal. It used to be avail from a place called Faucher near the old Dairyland warehouse in Burnaby - Im not sure theyre still there. It was about 10 bucks a tube (small caulking gun), and min order was $50. Insane stuff. Apparantly used by Kenworth to assemble their airdams and fibreglass whatnots. It will bond 2 plates of steel together bulletproof/UV resistant/weather etc. I can attest it REALLY sticks and you will have to chisel it off when fully cured... but - prep of suface isc ritical. Last project was running a bunch around the roof gutters of my 61. Not sure if this is what youre after but it is good stuf with Tolulene for an added bonus....wear your respirator! Good luck

johnny

9. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

sound exactly like the stuff

thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.