seals in the sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to refresh some of the seals in the sunroof, hence I bought 4 slide roof seals. The old ones on the corner seem to be thicker and more spongy, but the ones that came are hard and I'm not really clear if I need to pull something back to reveal an adhesive? Anyone replace these yet? They seem to be small and perhaps insignificant but it seems they would slow down the water getting into the rails and prevent overflow during storms.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.10.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.24.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.24.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.25.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.25.02 AM.png

Also, the trim on the sunroof is the most crunchy plastic I've ever touched. Yikes. I'm thinking of just removing it all together as it doesn't look too bad just being black metal.

I am trying to refresh some of the seals in the sunroof, hence I bought 4 slide roof seals. The old ones on the corner seem to be thicker and more spongy, but the ones that came are hard and I'm not really clear if I need to pull something back to reveal an adhesive? Anyone replace these yet? They seem to be small and perhaps insignificant but it seems they would slow down the water getting into the rails and prevent overflow during storms.

View attachment 2645220

View attachment 2645225View attachment 2645226

View attachment 2645228View attachment 2645227

Also, the trim on the sunroof is the most crunchy plastic I've ever touched. Yikes. I'm thinking of just removing it all together as it doesn't look too bad just being black metal.
Those hard black strips are to space the weatherstrip out a bit from the glass for a better seal. Very similar to the Bicycle Tube Sunroof Fix/wind noise gone! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bicycle-tube-sunroof-fix-wind-noise-gone.235129/

I have done the tube fix on multiple 80's all with good success.

ahh so they go inside of the weather stripping against the glass. They don't replace the spongy looking strips then.

When mine was leaking I was advised it was the seal on the glass.
That seal isn’t available, you have to buy the whole new glass.
I bit the bullet, bought new glass & haven’t had an issue since.

When mine was leaking I was advised it was the seal on the glass.
That seal isn’t available, you have to buy the whole new glass.
I bit the bullet, bought new glass & haven’t had an issue since.

Where did you buy it and what was the cost of the replacement glass? How big of a bullet did you have to bite? I'm in LA area as well so probably won't be sticker shocked.

Did the glass come with the metal frame?
Yes. Glass, metal frame, and rubber edge seal are all one assembly. Looks like the pic below when you order it.

9BD9B9A0-9ABF-41D2-B57F-35EFEC54777B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom