Sealer for Differential cover gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my axle all rebuilt with ARB's installed :grinpimp:

When putting the cover on: I have the cork gasket, but what is the stuff that you use to seal it? Do you put it on both sides of the gasket? Should I put the gasket on dry (no sealer)???

I really don't want it to leak :D

(I did a search, and look in the tech articles, but couldn't find the info)

My 2 Cents!

I clean both surfaces extremely well and place a light film of Ultra Black RTV on both surfaces, let it dry five to ten minutes then put it together with the cork gasket and very lightly start the bolts. I let it dry a 10-15 min and then torque the bolts to specs. I have never had any thing leak, knock on wood!

1. gasket sinch, yes it is the actual name of the product, both surfaces that will join...when starting to become tacky apply gasket to diff plate properly aligned and let dry together.

2. Repeat for attatching plate to housing...torque and let dry. dont forget to check for leaks before driving.

:cheers: almost how muspos does it but just with a different timing and different product

Soul_Man said:
When putting the cover on: I have the cork gasket, but what is the stuff that you use to seal it? Do you put it on both sides of the gasket? Should I put the gasket on dry (no sealer)???

Put the cork on dry. I've never had a cork diff gasket leak.

In my experience cork gaskets tend to dry out during storage (post production) and are not as plyable. If I have to use a cork gasket I smear a little vasaline on the gasket before assembly. The vasaline will soften the gasket and makes it easier to remove if you ever have to take the cover off. Works great on valve cover gaskets too.
Just be carefull not to get the vasaline all over your hands, your wife will think you were wrenchin something else.:D

I made my gasket with a pair of scissors and some blue gasket material from O'reilly. Put a little RTV bolted it on and it has been leak free.

wesintl said:

X3.

As long as the sealing surfaces are clean and dry, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

-Steve

wesintl said:

X4 Cork is best.

If you use RTV and it comes time to service, do maint, or whatever on the diff, that stuff is a PITA to get off.

i hit mine with a little hi tack so they come off easier.

I like a little RTV on the cover to stick the gasket and make sure it doesn't flop, slide, or otherwise somehow get a little misaligned, but it probably isn't necessary.

What torque for the nuts???

I put a little black RTV. Was nervous about putting it totally dry :eek:

Can't find torque specs in my Haynes manual or the Factory manual :confused: I generic guide I have says for 10mm bolts/14mm nuts to use 36 N-m.

I did them finger tight, then a bit tighter (and was going to let it sit 10-15 for the RTV to set up) but it seems like the cork is trying to squeeze out if I go any tighter :eek:

Should I let it sit and then go to 36 N-m?

I would let it set up for a couple hours and then tighten them up....because you did not want to install the gasket dry. ;)

DO NOT put oil in until AFTER everything it sealed and tight....or you will be doing it again. :)

Good luck!

-Steve

i don't even have a gasket on mine, just black rtv, no leaks in about 2 years.

Well, I got it tight to just where the gasket wanted to squirt out. I let it sit like that overnight and this moring I was able to torque it with no problems.

Funny, when the gasket started to squirt out I thought: no wonder a lot of the guys said to put it on dry...:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom