sea foam in a 3B, results? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi Guys,
I did a search on this and found a couple people tried it. I have not seen any reports on it though. Has anyone had issues with high milage engines, something along the lines of they "used it, it cleaned everything and now the compression us low" .
Any positive/negative results?
Thanks

OK once more I will say my theory....I know it doesn't agree with all :)

If you trap the return fuel from the injectors do it. If not, skip it.

I personally have seen the amount of gunk that comes out of a IP and nozzle system in my Mercedes...it was gross. IN a 3b this will loop forever if you free it up.

For the oil system, don't do it. I think it will free up too much dirt and sludge and may block an oil orfice.

I would not put it in my fuel tank either. But at least the tank gunk will go to the filter before going further.

If you use it as purge and find a good way to loop the return into a jug please do a write up.

I used this procedure on my Mercedes and plan to do the same on my 3B.

http://dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm I used seafoam with great results.

I once used something simular on a older chrysler cars oil. Bad idea. It knocked loose all the carbon but did not disolve all of it and pluged the oil pickup tube. Thankfully the car was heading to the wrecking yard anyway.

I have used it in the fuel tank on my bj60 and had no adverse reactions. So guess its okay.

BTW just to mention I also have tried 1 quart of auto transmission fluid and ran it for two days in the engine before the oil change.

Last edited:
I've advocated it strongly ever since i used it in my 2F. Went from a tired slug to spinning 35s with 3.73 gears. Idled better and drastically improved fuel economy. I thought it was in good shape (rebuilt carb) before, but it was much happier after.

I've used it in over 10 other vehicles, all of which are happier and still on the road.

my $0.02

Brownbear, good link, nice write up on the Mercedes flush. pretty straight forward, you isolate the tank from the fuel system, create a mini tank with the desired cleaner, and the return line goes back into it to get all the gunk out of the fuel pump into a safe spot. The carbon build up inside the cylinders gets thrown out the exhaust.
In relation to the oil, if the build up is that severe, what's stopping it from coming loose on its own and doing the same thing. In relation to the Sea foam, they recommend to do the oil addition and run it for an hour, then change the oil.
I am not disputing arguments here, just trying to get some ideas and facts, so I do appresciate the feed back.
Also I called a local diesel mechanic (one of the few good ones) and asked him what they do, which is pretty much what you have the link for. They hook up the engine to a machine for about 30 minutes and run a half diesel half mystery solvent mix through the fuel system. It costs $140.00 (+tax). The bottle is cheaper, the only variable would be the solvent/chemical.
So, so far the consensus is fuel - yes (with the right set up), oil - no.
Any other reasons/suggestions/experience?
Thanks BB, Haryv, BiffS.

I ran the Seafoam as directed by Crushers in the sump for just over 100 kms and then drained right away. I really can't say if it made the engine run better but the oil stayes cleaner for many more days after an oil change than before. I have been using Delo 400, so I guess using Seafoam just took the little sludge the Delo 400 could get out.

I didn't bother with the fuel system, as I figure many tanks of B40 cleaned that out pretty good. The number of glogged filters I went through attest to that.

Yah the jug with the return worked pretty nice on my Mercedes.

Seafoam is pretty strong, I think it could free up things that normally would have stayed dormant.

Also I do not see why I need clean looking oil?

The fuel cleaning is good.

I used seafoam in my lawnmower(20yr old Honda) and it ran like new after. It was quite something. I put some in the fuel, some in the oil, some down the throttle intake. After I was done it really made a difference.

I changed the oil right after it ran for 20 mins.

But using it as a diesel purge is quite good.

I would never thought about the lawn mower. Good Idea!!

I use it in my lawnmower, weed trimmer, chain saw, you name it. It works great in all of them, oh the tractor too.

Gman

When I bought my HJ60 I poured a can in the fuel tank. Then I added a litre of ATF fluid to the oil. I drove it for about an hour and then drained the oil and chaned all the filters. Everything seems great. Seemed to have a lot more crap in the oil then in the fuel lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom