SE Michigan….need some work/mods done…also krown vs fluid film? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, not new to the 80 scene but I sold my LX a few years ago. She was my baby I had her since I was 16 first owner almost 20 years but I couldn’t find a mechanic to save my life coupled with the rust plus two bad accidents and I had to let her go to a better home. Of course I regretted it every day since and just recently picked up a 97 LC and this time instead of keeping her as stock as possible I’m doing a “build”. I put “build” in quotation marks because really I’m not going to be doing any wheeling she’s going to be my daily driver once the lease on my GX is up but she’s going to look mean doing it!

I actually did end up finding a mechanic thank god, a middle eastern kid who worked on them back home and does it out of his garage I’m pretty impressed with his skills and meticulous obsession with figuring things out.

But I need some mods done like sliders and a rear aftermarket bumper put on which may need some welding/fab which he doesn’t do. Can anyone recommend a shop that could do that stuff around here or even one that is a bit off I could make it to?

Also I’m not going to make the same mistakes as my first go around, she has very minimal rust and I’m going to keep it that way. A couple local shops offer krown and fluid film coating pretty cheap, are there any pros and cons to either to consider? What do you guys think of either one?

Thanks in advance fellas! Would love to also know if you guys do any meetups or anything!

Last edited:
We do have meetups occurring more regularly.

Look at the main group page. We began gathering at @Ocho77’s place a few years back each summer.

I don’t have a shop, but hope to start designing and building some front and rear bumpers sometime. I helped refine the 4x4labs rear bumpers during a short stint working with Luke in 05.

Hi all, not new to the 80 scene but I sold my LX a few years ago. She was my baby I had her since I was 16 first owner almost 20 years but I couldn’t find a mechanic to save my life coupled with the rust plus two bad accidents and I had to let her go to a better home. Of course I regretted it every day since and just recently picked up a 97 LC and this time instead of keeping her as stock as possible I’m doing a “build”. I put “build” in quotation marks because really I’m not going to be doing any wheeling she’s going to be my daily driver once the lease on my GX is up but she’s going to look mean doing it!

I actually did end up finding a mechanic thank god, a middle eastern kid who worked on them back home and does it out of his garage I’m pretty impressed with his skills and meticulous obsession with figuring things out.

But I need some mods done like sliders and a rear aftermarket bumper put on which may need some welding/fab which he doesn’t do. Can anyone recommend a shop that could do that stuff around here or even one that is a bit off I could make it to?

Also I’m not going to make the same mistakes as my first go around, she had very minimal rust and I’m going to keep it that way. A couple local shops offer krown and fluid film coating pretty cheap, are there any pros and cons to either to consider? What do you guys think of either one?

Thanks in advance fellas! Would love to also know if you guys do any meetups or anything!
Are you near metro Detroit? If so I'm curious to learn more about the mechanic you found - always good to have options.

I think Krown and Fluid Film are the same thing. I used spray cans last year, this year I went to a Krown franchise in Livonia - fast and not much more $$ than buying the cans, I recommend that since you have shops nearby. You won't go wrong with either.

Post pics of the 80!

I'm interested in the mechanic as well.

I ended up getting NHOU undercoating from a shop in Howell (this is my first winter with my LC)...wasn't too expensive and was very fast

Are you near metro Detroit? If so I'm curious to learn more about the mechanic you found - always good to have options.

I think Krown and Fluid Film are the same thing. I used spray cans last year, this year I went to a Krown franchise in Livonia - fast and not much more $$ than buying the cans, I recommend that since you have shops nearby. You won't go wrong with either.

Post pics of the 80!

Exactly where I’m going, that same franchise in Livonia I work and live in Livonia. The only thing i could think of is that the fluid film comes in that black which might look nice on the underbody.

There is a line x shop on Plymouth rd that supposedly also specializes in truck accessories, I was planning to stop in there next week and ask if I picked up a 4x4 labs rear and some of those cheapo trail gear sliders if they could rig them on for me, I already have an ARB front. Also would like to put some kut flares on it but it’s going to need a paint or wrap, not sure if I should be plugging holes only to drill more and then paint/wrap-install or what order I should be doing that in. Besides the small stuff here is my list right now, she just got new tires and she is mechanically sorted after the brake master cylinder goes in this week so it's mainly cosmetic:

Speakers (all blown don't need fancy)
Auto Start Keyless Entry
Rear Bumper
Sliders
Flares
Retrofitted Transplant Front Seats
Paint or Wrap
Rust Coating

After that she is done and ready to rock, small things here and there like some misc replacement parts and trim, maybe plasti dip the wheels or small upgrades but that's about it. The lease on my GX is up in December so I think I have plenty of time and even if she isn't done she is completely fine to drive as is as long as I get the rust coating done before the salt.

She’s at my warehouse I’ll get some pics of her tomorrow!

As for the mechanic let me ask him if he’s looking for work, he’s a young kid working his way up and does it as a hobby as well as wrenching on his own cars he buys and sells. I bought the 80 from him so he feels connected to it and wants to see it get done and done right, he didn’t have the cash to do it himself.

Last edited:
We do have meetups occurring more regularly.

Look at the main group page. We began gathering at @Ocho77’s place a few years back each summer.

I don’t have a shop, but hope to start designing and building some front and rear bumpers sometime. I helped refine the 4x4labs rear bumpers during a short stint working with Luke in 05.

Can you point me to the main group page??

Exactly where I’m going, that same franchise in Livonia I work and live in Livonia. The only thing i could think of is that the fluid film comes in that black which might look nice on the underbody.

There is a line x shop on Plymouth rd that supposedly also specializes in truck accessories, I was planning to stop in there next week and ask if I picked up a 4x4 labs rear and some of those cheapo trail gear sliders if they could rig them on for me, I already have an ARB front. Also would like to put some kut flares on it but it’s going to need a paint or wrap, not sure if I should be plugging holes only to drill more and then paint/wrap-install or what order I should be doing that in. Besides the small stuff here is my list right now, she just got new tires and she is mechanically sorted after the brake master cylinder goes in this week so it's mainly cosmetic:

Speakers (all blown don't need fancy)
Auto Start Keyless Entry
Rear Bumper
Sliders
Flares
Retrofitted Transplant Front Seats
Paint or Wrap
Rust Coating

After that she is done and ready to rock, small things here and there like some misc replacement parts and trim, maybe plasti dip the wheels or small upgrades but that's about it. The lease on my GX is up in December so I think I have plenty of time and even if she isn't done she is completely fine to drive as is as long as I get the rust coating done before the salt.

She’s at my warehouse I’ll get some pics of her tomorrow!

As for the mechanic let me ask him if he’s looking for work, he’s a young kid working his way up and does it as a hobby as well as wrenching on his own cars he buys and sells. I bought the 80 from him so he feels connected to it and wants to see it get done and done right, he didn’t have the cash to do it himself.
The place on Plymouth Rd is both Krown and LineX, the owner told me he just got the Krown franchise and is really happy with it so far. Nice guy and a clean shop (at least the part I saw).

Good luck with everything! I did speakers and a head unit this summer when I got mine. Fronts required a bit of fiddling to avoid the window glass but not too bad. If it helps I did:

Front: Pioneer TS-G650
Dash tweeters: Kicker 43DSC404
Rear: Pioneer TS-G400

The place on Plymouth Rd is both Krown and LineX, the owner told me he just got the Krown franchise and is really happy with it so far. Nice guy and a clean shop (at least the part I saw).

Good luck with everything! I did speakers and a head unit this summer when I got mine. Fronts required a bit of fiddling to avoid the window glass but not too bad. If it helps I did:

Front: Pioneer TS-G650
Dash tweeters: Kicker 43DSC404
Rear: Pioneer TS-G400

Oh nice, I didn’t realize they were the same shop.

Thank you that helps a lot actually! Did you do it yourself?

Thank you that helps a lot actually! Did you do it yourself?

Yep - it's fairly simple. For the fronts I re-used the plastic basket the OEM speakers sit in. The new speakers are slightly deeper so you have to cut the back out of the basket with a dremel. I used some extra washers so the speaker cleared the window. IIRC the tweeters and rears were a direct drop-in. All in it took maybe 1-2 hrs before cranking it to 11 (and embarrassing the wife, who isn't convinced our neighbors share my taste in music).

Hey, I'm in Redford, same situation with my GX, looking to undercoat and get welding done. If you hit on a place to get the welding work (and undercoat in same location is even better) please update the thread or send me a direct message...thanks!

I had this product applied to my GX460 and after one Traverse City winter the product seems to protect things well. There are dealers in the Detroit area.

The powder coat they use seems to flake off pretty readily. Pat does coating and has redone some ‘labs parts.

Wow good to know, it’s either 4x4 labs or the NWTI, I reached out to both asking if I can still place the stock spare under the truck with their bumpers. I don’t want to add the extra length to the truck with the spare on the back for a daily driver.

I also reached out to Pat, thank you!

there is expedition vehicle outfitters in fowler michigan. havent used them but the reviews on google are good.

If you buy new from Luke, order it bare, have a local shop blast it and have Pat coat it. I’d suggest getting at least one swing out spindle just in case you change your mind about adding swing outs later.

Well unfortunately it looks like it's going to NWTI anyway.....4x4labs got back to me and the spare doesn't fit under the truck with their rear on. Still doesn't solve the issue of needed a shop, Pat is busy with his roof racks and I'll get with him when it comes time for that. Going to check out that shop @VSPro9 mentioned along with talking to a couple local places....

Man I’m having a hell of a time trying to get a rear welded together, no shop wants to take it on. Ken over at expedition shot it real straight with me that they are going to charge me an ungodly amount and I should find one already assembled for them to slap on, he seems like a really good guy and if it comes down to it I will go with them. I’m going to call a place in Brighton tomorrow that the line X shop recommended as he wanted nothing to do with it, I also asked NWTI if they would consider selling me an assembled one. I’m having it shipped to a commercial address with a forklift so hopefully that helps somewhat.

The sliders don’t appear to be an issue, lots of shops work with trail gear apparently.

Either way first thing I need to do is paint or wrap, so I need to the body shop plug the old holes from the flares, drill new holes then paint then put the new flares on. So it’s not like the rear and sliders is something I need to be done right now but I would like to have my ducks in a row and have the parts ready to rock so it’s done sooner rather than later.

Also had a shop turn down a speaker install today saying something about the stock amp making it complicated, that was interesting. Going to try another shop tomorrow…

Then there is the matter of retrofitting some new front seats 🤦🏻‍♂️

What a mess, sometimes I wish I lived in the southwest I bet there are a dozen shops or guys within a stones throw which would love to knock all that stuff out for an LC.

What I would really like to do is pay a mud member to do it all so my money goes to them instead but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom