Wanted SE MI - Rockbox or toybox for 4 speed FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a rockbox or a toybox for my 1987 fj60 with the stock 4 speed. I am located in SE Michigan but would be willing to consider shipping from other locations

I am looking for a rockbox or a toybox for my 1987 fj60 with the stock 4 speed. I am located in SE Michigan but would be willing to consider shipping from other locations
As far as I'm aware, they didn't make the Rockbox for the split case, only the 16 spline single piece case of the FJ40. Years ago, there was an adapter made for the NP203 doubler to be used with the splitcase drivetrain, but those adapters are no longer available on the market - at least the trans to 203 adapter isnt. I had a 203/splitcase combo that I bought and ended up selling to someone who planned to put it behind a 6l80 as I couldn't source the parts to mate it to an h42. The only industry supported option to throw a doubler between the H42 and split case is the NWF black box. Sorry if this is info you already knew.

As far as I'm aware, they didn't make the Rockbox for the split case, only the 16 spline single piece case of the FJ40. Years ago, there was an adapter made for the NP203 doubler to be used with the splitcase drivetrain, but those adapters are no longer available on the market - at least the trans to 203 adapter isnt. I had a 203/splitcase combo that I bought and ended up selling to someone who planned to put it behind a 6l80 as I couldn't source the parts to mate it to an h42. The only industry supported option to throw a doubler between the H42 and split case is the NWF black box. Sorry if this is info you already knew.
Thanks for this info, it is very helpful. I thought that there was a Toybox option for the H42 and the split case as well, but I could be mistaken. The blackbox is exactly what I need based on my conversations with NWF, but the cost is enough to make it worth considering an H55F and lower T case gears at that point.

Thanks for this info, it is very helpful. I thought that there was a Toybox option for the H42 and the split case as well, but I could be mistaken. The blackbox is exactly what I need based on my conversations with NWF, but the cost is enough to make it worth considering an H55F and lower T case gears at that point.
Yes, Marlin made the toybox for the h42/splitcase for a bit, but you'll only find them used in the aftermarket. You may find one fishing with a want ad, I was able to pick up a spare Rockbox for my Fj40 chasing old sale ads. I would think for the cost and effort of doing a Toybox, the additional spend for a Blackbox isn't bad considering there is parts avaliable for them if needed. Have you actually pried an H55f and lower t-case gears? Its got to be at least double the cost of a new Blackbox?

Yes, Marlin made the toybox for the h42/splitcase for a bit, but you'll only find them used in the aftermarket. You may find one fishing with a want ad, I was able to pick up a spare Rockbox for my Fj40 chasing old sale ads. I would think for the cost and effort of doing a Toybox, the additional spend for a Blackbox isn't bad considering there is parts avaliable for them if needed. Have you actually pried an H55f and lower t-case gears? Its got to be at least double the cost of a new Blackbox?
This wanted add is intended to fish for a used Toybox like you mentioned.

I have priced out the alternative. Price greatly depends on if you source the 5 speed new or used and what route you go for getting the gears in the t case. A black box is over 4k by the time you get the unit, a dual shifter set up, a rear crossmember, and have the prop shft shortened. A full assembly from Cruiser Outfitters with the 5 speed and modified T case ready to go in the truck is around 7k and the prices decrease from there depending on how much elbow grease youre willing to put into getting everything set up.

I have priced out the alternative. Price greatly depends on if you source the 5 speed new or used and what route you go for getting the gears in the t case. A black box is over 4k by the time you get the unit, a dual shifter set up, a rear crossmember, and have the prop shft shortened. A full assembly from Cruiser Outfitters with the 5 speed and modified T case ready to go in the truck is around 7k and the prices decrease from there depending on how much elbow grease youre willing to put into getting everything set up.
I have talked with Cruiser Outfitters, AA, NWF, and Marlin about my intended goal for my truck to explore my options. Based on the information I have, looking for a used Toybox is the best option which is why I posted this wanted add on the off chance someone has one that they are looking to get rid of

I admit, I just went to the NWF website and actually chose the 19 spline input shaft option - I either had never done that or forgot the number. I had $2100 stuck in my head, which is probably an older price for the base unit. 19 spline input takes it from $2300 to $3400!! Yikes.

Good luck in your search!

I admit, I just went to the NWF website and actually chose the 19 spline input shaft option - I either had never done that or forgot the number. I had $2100 stuck in my head, which is probably an older price for the base unit. 19 spline input takes it from $2300 to $3300!! Yikes.

Haha yeah, prices for everything seem to hurt these days. Thanks!

I admit, I just went to the NWF website and actually chose the 19 spline input shaft option - I either had never done that or forgot the number. I had $2100 stuck in my head, which is probably an older price for the base unit. 19 spline input takes it from $2300 to $3400!! Yikes.

The 19-spline/ Cruiser option requires a whole separate billet adapter to take it to the Cruiser bolt pattern vs standard domestic 6-bolt

I'd sell my Nv4500/203/splitcase combo.

Sorry for the delay in replying- how involved is this swap and what condition are the parts in?

Here are links to my threads on how to mate with your 2F, and the part of my build thread where I documented the integration into the rest of the vehicle
The parts are still in my vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom