Screwed Up My Full Float Rear Hub: What are My Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I'm a moron and tightened the bolts down too hard on the pins to my full float rear. A couple pins are spinning freely in the hub and I stripped the threads on the side that holds the axle to the hub. Been searching for a while to figure out a fix, but I'm coming up blank. Here are the parts I'm talking about.

Hub.png

Any other options out there?

A UZJ100 uses 10mm studs with cone washers at the front hubs. You upgrade them all or just the ones that are screwed up.

There are no forces trying to pull the axle out. You could just JBWeld the studs into the holes for a quick fix. Lots of people will barf, but it will work and last forever.

Is there anything super special about that hub, or would a front hub work? The bearings are the same as I recall. Pre 75 or so cruisers had drum brakes up front. The inner axle through the spindle changes with the disc brakes, but does the brake rotor or drum surface offset change, or the bearing diameters? Backspacing on the rims remains the same, so surface they bolt to does not change, correct? Does anyone know this stuff for sure? I'm just throwing out easy ideas.

You can drill them out and tap for bigger as shown above, or helicoil them, helicoils are pricey though. Did you try finding a used one from somebody?

Is there anything super special about that hub, or would a front hub work? The bearings are the same as I recall. Pre 75 or so cruisers had drum brakes up front. The inner axle through the spindle changes with the disc brakes, but does the brake rotor or drum surface offset change, or the bearing diameters? Backspacing on the rims remains the same, so surface they bolt to does not change, correct? Does anyone know this stuff for sure? I'm just throwing out easy ideas.

You can drill them out and tap for bigger as shown above, or helicoil them, helicoils are pricey though. Did you try finding a used one from somebody?

x2 on the helicoil, being the easiest and allow you to use the stock studs. I would upgrade though if you are going through the hassle.

I would really like to know if there is interchangability between the front and rear hubs.

Is there anything super special about that hub, or would a front hub work? ....

The FF hub body is longer. If you used a front hub the axle shaft would be pushed deeper into the side gears of the diff. I suspect the hub nut with the oil seal might not have enough room with a shorter front hub substituted, but I've never tried. I had considered going this route using ifs hubs and disk brakes for wider track, but never got the parts together once I saw front hubs are shorter.

Helicoil for an 8mm thread should not be that expensive. Or bigger studs as suggested.

either take it to a local machine shop and have them put in some hellie coils or buy the kit and do it your self. the kit isnt that much and if you take it to a napa that has a machine shop and hav e them do it . it probly wouldnt cost any more than 20.00 to 30.00 at the napa. or just buy the kit and do it your self , the kit comes with the over sized drill bit and tap and a plastic tool and the coils. all you do is re drill the hole and then tap the hole out and then install the coil and break off the little tab on the end and your done. if it ever happens again you allready have the parts to fix it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom