screeching noise when full turn... what gives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi all:
still looking at a 99... Had a short test drive only.
If I'm not mistaken, while making a sharp RHS turn (wheel turned all the way) there was a screechy sounding noise. Didn't have time to figure this out, and I will go and have another look and drive if warranted. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on what this is likely to be and how to find out for sure. Is it likely to be
- just tires contorted on asphalt (they are fairly old and worn original Michelin I think)
- steering pump bottoming out
- something rubbing under the fenders?
Any advice on likely problem, how to tell, and potential for serious trouble?
thanks much
Eric

If it were a full lock turn, it was probably the steering stop rubbing. Classic horrible sound on the IFS minitrucks. Replace the missing plastic cap, or put some grease in its place.

thanks cruiserman, but what should I look at and where is this stop?

no chance this would be something having to do with the power steering? I have vague recollections of having been told once that a screeching sound like this means something wrong/worn with the power steering system (a valve/pump or some such thing?)

thanks
eric

Eric,
Sounds like it could be as simple as the PS belt being loose.
Bill

Hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it. The steering stops are on the knuckle at each front wheel. It's definitely a metal on metal sound, not a high pitched squeal like a brake pad or slipping belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom